Presumed mass content of photon as gravitational source

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation ## m_0 = \frac{h f }{c^2}## and its relationship to gravitation. The question is posed about whether a photon with frequency f passing near a mass M can have a gravitational influence, even though the concept of rest mass does not apply. The response states that while the effect may be similar to an object with twice the mass, there are still non-negligible effects from the fast motion. The conversation then shifts to discussing the behavior of a photon near the surface of the earth, and a comparison is made between the fall of a ball and a beam of laser light in a perfectly reflective environment. The speaker also mentions an illustration by Paul Hewitt on this
DaTario
Hello,

I have read some of the posts which discuss the meaning and mistakes involving the equation:
## m_0 = \frac{h f }{c^2}.##

My question has to do with gravitation. I would like to know if it is correct to associate to a photon with frequency f, crossing a region near a mass M, a gravitational influence based on the "photon's mass content" above described (even if the concept of rest mass is not applicable).

Best wishes,

DaTario

Science news on Phys.org
That doesn't work. The effect is more similar to an object with twice the mass, but you still have non-negligible effects from the fast motion that doesn't allow to apply Newton's formula for example.

But near the surface of the earth, for example, being a region where we can approximate de gravitational force on a mass m to mg, and which implies that all bodies will fall with the same acceleration g, the photon will also behave like this, isn´t it?
I recall an interesting exercise proposed by Paul Hewitt in Physics Teacher magazine, in which he asks for a comparison between the fall of a ball and a beam of laser light, both bouncing back and forth in perfectly reflecive walls.
ball and light drop hewitt.jpg

Just for the sake of good references, in the previous post (#3) I attached an illustration by Paul Hewitt, relative to the very problem I cited.

1. What is the "presumed mass content of photon as gravitational source"?

The "presumed mass content of photon as gravitational source" refers to the idea that photons, which are particles of light, may have a small amount of mass and therefore contribute to the overall gravitational pull of objects.

2. Is there evidence to support this idea?

There is currently no direct evidence to support the idea that photons have mass. However, some theories, such as quantum gravity, suggest that photons may have a very small amount of mass that is difficult to measure.

3. How would the presumed mass content of photons affect our understanding of gravity?

If photons do indeed have mass, it would change our understanding of gravity as we currently view it. It would also have implications for other theories, such as the theory of relativity.

4. Are there any experiments being done to test this idea?

There have been some experiments conducted to try and measure the mass of photons, but so far none have been successful. More research and experimentation is needed to fully understand the mass content of photons.

5. What are the potential implications of photons having mass?

If photons do have mass, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also impact our current technology and how we use and manipulate light.