Prime factors of an expression

In summary, prime factors are factors that cannot be factored any further and satisfy certain conditions, depending on the specific ring or set of elements being considered. This is important because different rings can have different prime factors for the same expression, as shown by the example of ##x^2+1##.
Jehannum
I'm reading a book that mentions writing an algebraic expression in terms of its prime factors, for example:

x2 - 2 x - 3 = (x + 1) (x - 3)​

I know what 'prime factors' means for a number but not for an expression. Aren't these just 'factors'?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jehannum said:
I'm reading a book that mentions writing an algebraic expression in terms of its prime factors, for example:

I know what 'prime factors' means for a number but not for an expression. Aren't these just 'factors'?

They are factors, but they are also irreducible, as they themselves cannot be factored any further.

Likes Jehannum
Ah ... thank you.

Jehannum said:

No, factors alone would be insufficient to describe what is meant. E.g. take ##x^2+1=(x-i)(x+i)##. What are the factors here and which one is prime? The example shows that it depends on the ring you consider, i.e. the place in which the objects, here polynomials live.
In general a prime is defined by ##p \textrm{ isn't a unit (invertible) and } (\,p \,\vert \,ab \Longrightarrow p\,\vert \,a \textrm{ or } p\,\vert \,b\,)##. This is the definition for numbers and polynomials. (Of course you could also define them as those elements ##p## of a commutative ring ##R## with unity, for which ##R/pR## is an integral domain.) The point is in any case, that it is important where the elements are taken from. An easy example would be ordinary primes: ##5## is a prime in the integers, but it isn't as a real number.

Related to Prime factors of an expression

What are prime factors?

Prime factors are the numbers that, when multiplied together, result in the original number. They are all prime numbers, meaning they can only be divided by 1 and themselves.

How do I find the prime factors of an expression?

To find the prime factors of an expression, you can use a method called prime factorization. This involves breaking down the expression into its prime factors by dividing it by the smallest prime number possible and repeating this process until all factors are prime.

What is the difference between prime factors and composite factors?

Prime factors are the numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves, while composite factors have multiple factors, including 1 and themselves. Prime factors are the building blocks of a number, while composite factors are made up of prime factors.

Why is knowing the prime factors of an expression important?

Knowing the prime factors of an expression can be useful in many mathematical applications, such as simplifying fractions, finding the greatest common factor, and solving for variables in equations.

Can an expression have more than one set of prime factors?

No, an expression can only have one set of prime factors. This is because prime factors are unique and cannot be broken down any further. However, an expression can have multiple expressions that have the same set of prime factors, called "equivalent expressions."