Primitive element theorem

In summary, by applying the algorithm of the Primitive element theorem, we can find a complex number $c$ such that the splitting field $E$ of $x^3-2\in \mathbb{Q}[x]$ is equal to $\mathbb{Q}(c)$. This is proven by showing that $\sqrt[3]{2}+\gamma \omega_3$ satisfies the conditions for being a primitive element.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $E$ the splitting field of $x^3-2 \in \mathbb{Q}[x]$.

Applying the algorithm of the proof of the Primitive element theorem, find a complex $c$ with $E=\mathbb{Q}(c)$.

I have done the following:

The splitting field is $E=\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}, \omega_3)$.

Since $\sqrt[3]{2}, \omega_3$ are algebraic over $\mathbb{Q}$, we have that $\mathbb{Q} \leq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}, \omega_3)$ is finite, that means that $\mathbb{Q} \leq E$ is finite.

Since $\mathbb{Q}$ is a perfect field, we have that the finite expansion $\mathbb{Q} \leq E$ is seperable.

So, from the Primitive element theorem, $\exists c \in E$ with $E = \mathbb{Q}(c)$.

We have that $E=\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}, \omega_3 )$ with $\omega_3$ separable over $\mathbb{Q}$.

Let $f$ and $g$ the minimum polynomials of $\sqrt[3]{2}$ and $\omega_3$ over $\mathbb{Q}$, and let $L$ be a splitting field for $fg$ containing $E$.

Let $a_1=\sqrt[3]{2}, a_2, \dots , a_s$ be the roots of $f$ in $L$, and let $b=\omega_3 , b_2, \dots , b_t$ be the roots of $g$.

For $j \neq 1, b_j \neq b=\omega_3$ so the equation $a_ix+xb_j=a+xb \Rightarrow a_i+xb_j=\sqrt[3]{2}+x \omega_3$ has exactly one solution, $x=\frac{a_i-\sqrt[3]{2}}{\omega_3-b_j}$.

We choose $\gamma \in \mathbb{Q}$ differeent from any of the roots, then $a_i+\gamma b_j \neq \sqrt[3]{2}+\gamma \omega_3$, unless $i=1=j$.

Let $c=\sqrt[3]{2}+\gamma \omega_3$.

We claim that $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}, \omega_3)=\mathbb{Q}(c)$.

The polynomkials $g(x)$ and $f(c-\gamma x)$ have coefficients in $\mathbb{Q}(c)$ and have $\omega_3$ as a root:
$g(\omega_3)=0, f(c-\gamma \omega_3)=f(\sqrt[3]{2})=0$

Indeed, $\omega_3$ is their only common solution, since we chose $\gamma$ so that $c-\gamma b_j \neq a_i$, unless $i=1=j$.

So, $gcd(g(x), f(c-\gamma x))=x-\omega_3$.

We computed the $gcd$ in $L[x]$, but it is equal to the $gcd$ in $\mathbb{Q}[x]$.

So, $\omega_3 \in \mathbb{Q}(c) \Rightarrow \sqrt[3]{2}=c-\gamma \omega_3 \in \mathbb{Q}(c)$.Is this correct?? Or should I have found a specific value for $c$ ?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org

Your proof looks correct! You have correctly applied the algorithm of the Primitive element theorem, and you have shown that $c=\sqrt[3]{2}+\gamma \omega_3$ satisfies the conditions for being the primitive element. Therefore, your choice of $c$ is valid. Great job!

What is the Primitive Element Theorem?

The Primitive Element Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that every finite separable extension of a field can be generated by a single element. In other words, every finite extension can be written as the field generated by a single element.

How is the Primitive Element Theorem used in mathematics?

The Primitive Element Theorem is often used in algebraic number theory and algebraic geometry to simplify calculations and proofs. It is also used in cryptography to generate large finite fields.

What are the key assumptions of the Primitive Element Theorem?

The key assumptions of the Primitive Element Theorem are that the extension field is finite, separable, and has a characteristic of 0.

Are there any limitations to the Primitive Element Theorem?

Yes, the Primitive Element Theorem only applies to finite fields and does not hold for infinite fields. Additionally, not all finite fields have a primitive element.

Who developed the Primitive Element Theorem?

The Primitive Element Theorem was first proved by mathematician Leopold Kronecker in the 19th century. It has since been further developed and expanded upon by other mathematicians.