Principal branch of the log function

In summary, the theorem states that for the complex logarithm function to agree with the real natural logarithm function on positive real numbers, the interval I that determines the branch of the log function must contain 0. This is because the complex logarithm function takes into account both the magnitude and direction of a complex number, while the real natural logarithm function only considers the magnitude. If the interval does not contain 0, the principal argument of the complex number will vary and the two logarithm functions will not be equivalent.
Measle
I'm learning complex analysis right now, and I'm reading from Joseph Taylor's Complex Variables.

On Theorem 1.4.8, it says "If a log is the branch of the log function determined by an interval I, then log agrees with the ordinary natural log function on the positive real numbers if and only if the interval I contains 0."

Can anyone help me understand what this means? Is it just saying that the properties of the real log function only hold if the interval I contains 0? I don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
220px-Riemann_surface_log.svg.png

(from: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmus#Komplexer_Logarithmus; engl.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm#Complex_logarithm)

You see, that the logarithm ##w## for a value ##z##, i.e. ##e^w=z## has all solutions ##w+2k\pi i\; , \;k\in\mathbb{Z}##. To make it unique, we have to choose one of these branches, i.e. one value for ##k##. This prinicpal value is usually determined by ##- \pi < \operatorname{Im}(w) \leq \pi\,.## Of course we could also say ##-\pi/2 < \operatorname{Im}(w) \leq 3/2 \pi## or any other interval with ##0## in it. But if we climb up, such that zero isn't part of the interval anymore, then we are in the complex world, i.e. we ran around the circle once before regarding the logarithm, but this "run around once" has no real counterpart, because in the reals we would arrive at where we started, whereas in the complexes we climbed up a branch, which is not identical to where we started.

Attachments

• 220px-Riemann_surface_log.svg.png
    220px-Riemann_surface_log.svg.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 500

Hi there! I'm also currently studying complex analysis and I can try to help clarify this theorem for you.

Essentially, what this theorem is saying is that for the complex logarithm function to agree with the real natural logarithm function on positive real numbers, the interval I that determines the branch of the log function must contain 0.

To understand why, let's first remember that the complex logarithm function is defined as log(z) = ln|z| + i arg(z), where arg(z) is the principal argument of z. This means that the complex logarithm function not only takes into account the magnitude of z, but also its direction or argument.

Now, let's consider the real natural logarithm function, which is simply ln(x). This function only takes into account the magnitude of x, not its direction or argument. So, if we want the complex logarithm function to agree with the real natural logarithm function on positive real numbers, the interval I must contain 0.

Why is this the case? Well, if the interval I contains 0, then the principal argument of z will also be 0 for all positive real numbers. This means that the imaginary part of log(z) will be 0, making it equivalent to ln(x). However, if the interval I does not contain 0, then the principal argument of z will vary and the imaginary part of log(z) will not be 0, making it different from ln(x).

I hope this explanation helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!

What is the principal branch of the log function?

The principal branch of the log function is the branch that is used by default when evaluating logarithmic expressions. It is also known as the "main" or "primary" branch.

What is the domain of the principal branch of the log function?

The domain of the principal branch of the log function is all positive real numbers. This means that the input (base) of the logarithm must be greater than 0.

What is the range of the principal branch of the log function?

The range of the principal branch of the log function is all real numbers. This means that the output (exponent) of the logarithm can be any real number, positive or negative.

What is the difference between the principal branch and other branches of the log function?

The principal branch is the default branch used for evaluating logarithmic expressions. Other branches may have different domains and ranges, and may also have different rules for evaluating complex numbers.

How do I determine the principal branch of a complex logarithmic expression?

The principal branch of a complex logarithmic expression can be determined by following the general rules for evaluating logarithms, such as using the principal value of the argument and considering the branch cut of the function. It is important to note that the principal branch of a complex logarithm may not always be the same as the principal branch of a real logarithm.