Merging Two Threads: Complex Integrals & Branch Cuts

In summary, the branch cut is a line where the function is not continuous. In the presented problem, the function is continuous on ##R^+## as ##lim_{\theta \to 0} = \sqrt{r}## and ##lim_{\theta \to 2\pi} = -\sqrt{r}##. The limits are not equal, but they don't have to be, as the funtion is not defined for ##\theta = 2\pi##. However, the function is not continuous for ##\theta = \pi##, as, coming from above and below x-axis, gives different values for ##sin(\theta)##. So, isn't
Silviu
<Moderator note: Merger of two threads on the topic.>

Hello! I am reading some basic stuff on complex integrals using branch cuts and i found the problem in the attachment. I am not sure I understand why the branch cut is along ##R^+##. I thought that branch cut is, loosely speaking, a line where the function is not continuous (and thus not holomorphic). But in the presented problem, the function is continuous on ##R^+## as ##lim_{\theta \to 0} = \sqrt{r}## and ##lim_{\theta \to 2\pi} = -\sqrt{r}##. The limits are not equal, but they don't have to be, as the funtion is not defined for ##\theta = 2\pi##. However, the function is not continuous for ##\theta = \pi##, as, coming from above and below x-axis, gives different values for ##sin(\theta)##. So, isn't the branch cut on ##R^-##, or did I get something wrong about the definition of branch cut? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! I understand that the branch cuts are meant to prevent a complex function from being multivalued. So, as any complex number ##z## can be written in different ways (##z=\|z\|e^{i\theta}=\|z\|e^{i(\theta +2\pi)}## etc.), does this mean that any complex function has a branch cut, depending on the interval on which we define ##\theta##, (##[0,2\pi)## or ##[-\pi,\pi)##, etc)?

Look, functions like ##f(z)=z^2##, gives you the same value for a particular ##z##, no matter you write ##z=||z||e^{i\theta}## or ##z=||z||e^{i(\theta+2\pi)}##.
The problem arises when you deal with functions like ##g(z) = log (z)## or ##g(z) = z^{1/2}##. In those cases, you notice, ##z=||z||e^{i\theta}## or ##z=||z||e^{i(\theta+2\pi)}## give different values of ##g(z)##.

Likes Silviu
the fact that theta is multivalued is irrelevant to the function e^(i.theta) since the periodicity of the exponential function cancels out the multivaluedness of theta.

Likes WWGD
Another perspective is that of branch points . You want a branch cut designed so that curves do not wind around the branch point. EDIT: For example, for logz, the Complex log, zero is the branch point and branch cuts disallow winding around it.

But how do you calculate a branch cut in general? For example ##f(z)=\sqrt{z(z-1)}##, how do I get branch points and how do I get the number of values you get while going around the branch points? Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts?

The purpose of merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts is to combine two separate discussions or ideas into one cohesive discussion. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the topic and can also help to clarify any confusion or conflicting information.

2. How do you merge two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts?

To merge two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts, you can start by identifying the main points or ideas from each thread. Then, you can organize these points into categories or subtopics and weave them together in a logical and coherent manner. Remember to use transitions and connective phrases to help transition between the two threads.

3. What are the benefits of merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts?

Merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the topic and help to clarify any confusion or conflicting information. It can also help to identify connections and relationships between the two threads, leading to a deeper understanding of the topic as a whole.

4. Are there any potential challenges when merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts?

Yes, there can be potential challenges when merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts. One challenge may be identifying the main points or ideas from each thread and organizing them in a cohesive manner. Another challenge may be ensuring that the merged discussion flows smoothly and does not feel disjointed or confusing to the reader.

5. How can merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts improve scientific discussions?

Merging two threads in complex integrals and branch cuts can improve scientific discussions by promoting a more comprehensive and cohesive understanding of the topic. It can also help to identify connections and relationships between different ideas, leading to a deeper and more nuanced conversation. Additionally, merging threads can encourage collaboration and the exchange of different perspectives among scientists.