Principal Stresses in a Shear Flow

In summary, the conversation discussed principal stresses, which are present when there are no shear stresses and only normal stresses in a 2D system. This can be seen in a solid under external forces. However, in a laminar viscous flow, it can be confusing to understand how there can be principal stresses and strains due to the presence of shear between the lamina of the material. The suggestion was made to consider the analogous case for a Hookean solid or to look at the simple shear deformation of a solid between two infinite parallel plates.
Kushwoho44
Hi,

I was thinking about principal stresses and unfortunately this is a bit of a dark spot for me in my education.

I understand principal stresses as the stresses that are present when the co-ordinate system is oriented such that there are no shear stresses, and only normal stresses. As such, for a 2D system, there will two principal axis, which are orthogonal and one of these axis will contain the maximum stress and the other the minima. In the case of a solid under external forces, I can understand this situation.

However, I am a bit confused in even a simple laminar viscous flow, say 2D in a pipe for simpilcity. I cannot visualise a co-ordinate system here where there will be no shear, as there is shear between the lamina of the material, so how can there be principal stresses and strains?

Kind regards.

Likes Joe591
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not consider the analogous case for a Hookean solid and see how it works out? Or better yet, just look at the simple shear deformation of a solid between two infinite parallel plates. For such a case, what are the components of the strain tensor and the stress tensor in terms of the displacement V of the upper plate?

Likes Lnewqban

1. What are principal stresses in a shear flow?

Principal stresses in a shear flow refer to the maximum and minimum normal stresses that act on a plane within a fluid or solid material subjected to shear forces. These stresses are perpendicular to each other and are used to determine the direction of the principal stress plane.

2. How are principal stresses calculated in a shear flow?

Principal stresses can be calculated using the Mohr's circle method, where the shear stress and normal stress are plotted on a graph to determine the principal stress values. Alternatively, they can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the material's properties and the applied shear force.

3. What is the significance of principal stresses in a shear flow?

Principal stresses are important because they determine the maximum and minimum stress values that a material can withstand before failure. They also help in understanding the stress distribution within a material and predicting its behavior under different loading conditions.

4. How do principal stresses affect the strength of a material?

The magnitude and direction of principal stresses have a significant impact on the strength of a material. If the principal stresses are equal, the material is said to be in a state of hydrostatic stress, and it is more likely to fail under compressive forces. On the other hand, if the principal stresses are unequal, the material is in a state of shear stress, and it is more likely to fail under tensile or shear forces.

5. Can principal stresses change in a shear flow?

Yes, the principal stresses can change in a shear flow if the applied shear force or the material's properties change. This can result in a different stress distribution and can affect the material's strength and behavior. Therefore, it is essential to consider the principal stresses when analyzing the stability and failure of a material under shear forces.