Principal value of an argument

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt of solving a problem involving the value of n and the argument 'Arg' of z. The individual is struggling to find the correct answer due to having two unknowns in their final answer. They seek assistance and also discuss the definition of the principal value of an angle.
user12323567
Homework Statement
Let 0<θ<π/2 . The principal value corresponding to the argument 11π+θ is
(a) θ+π
(b) θ-π
(c) π-θ
(d) -θ-π
Relevant Equations
argz = Argz +2πn n=0,±1,±2...
This is my attempt of the problem

Argz = (11π+θ) - 2πn
0 < (11π+θ) - 2πn < π/2
0 < (11π+θ) - 2πn or (11π+θ) - 2πn < π/2
n < (11π+θ)/2π or n > (21π/4 + θ)

(21π/4 + θ) < n < (11π+θ)/2π, what i was trying to do was to find the value of n which i thought would help me obtain the value of the Argument 'Arg' of z but unfortunately I'm nowhere near getting the correct answer because my final answer has two unknowns which I think aren't even relevant to getting the correct answer, please assist

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the principal value of an angle?

All your inequalities are bad. You don't know if ##0< 11\pi + \theta -2\pi n < \pi/2##, you only know that is true for ##\theta## itself. Also when you write it that way it implies both inequalities are true, but you proceed to split it into assuming one is true or the other is true.

It might help to just assume like, ##\theta=\pi/4## first just to see what the solution looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the principal value of an argument?

The principal value of an argument is the main or central point that is being made or discussed. It is the main idea or claim that is being supported by evidence and reasoning.

2. How is the principal value of an argument determined?

The principal value of an argument is determined by analyzing the main points and evidence presented in the argument. It is important to consider the strength and validity of the evidence and how well it supports the main claim.

3. Why is the principal value of an argument important?

The principal value of an argument is important because it helps to clarify and focus the discussion or debate. It also serves as a guide for evaluating the strength and validity of the argument.

4. Can the principal value of an argument change?

Yes, the principal value of an argument can change if new evidence or information is presented that challenges or contradicts the original main claim. It is important to be open to revising and updating the principal value of an argument as new information becomes available.

5. How can one effectively communicate the principal value of an argument?

To effectively communicate the principal value of an argument, one should clearly and concisely state the main claim and provide supporting evidence and reasoning. It is also important to address potential counterarguments and explain how they are addressed by the principal value of the argument.