Is Calculating Variance Reduction in PCA Accurate?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of principle component analysis (PCA). The participants discussed issues such as calculating the proportion of total variance thrown away when using the first two components, interpreting the eigenvalues of the fourth and fifth components, and calculating component correlations for PC1. They also touched on the importance of using the correct matrix (covariance or correlation) when performing PCA. A question was also raised about the meaning of component loading measures. The conversation concluded with the reminder that the principal components should not be correlated with each other and that getting PCs with equal eigenvalues is just a coincidence.
Philip Wong
hi guys, several things about PCA (principle component analysis) I hope someone can run over with me and correct me if I'm wrong.

say I've done a PCA on correlation matrix and the eigenvlaues are: 2.37,1.18,0.58,0.28,0.28.

1) if I then do a reduced space plot using the first 2 pcs, is this how I calculate the proportion of total variance being thrown away:

the sum of all eigenvalues is: 4.59
proportion of variance thrown away is: (2.37*4.59)/(1.18*2.59) = 0.7734. So there is about 13% or 0.13 of data being thrown away?

2) let's go back to the eigenvalues I worked out above, I should pay more attention on interpreting the 4th and 5th components (both = 0.28). Because the closer the eigenvalues of any pair of components the more they are correlated (i.e. the higher the covariance). hence the 4th and 5th component give the same eigenvalue, it meant that they are highly correlated. It seems rather unusual to have equal eigenvalue, I might want to go back and look at my original data, such that I might have a type 1 error for 4th and 5th components (i.e. they might be the same sample printed twice).
is my interpretation corrected?

3) let say everything was correct (i.e. indeed the 4th and 5th component indeed is separate data sets giving the same eigenvalue). how do I calculate the component correlations for PC1?

do is use the following formula: (eigenvalues for PC1)/ (n-1). where n-1 is the degrees of freedom. i.e. 2.37/ (5-1) . 2.37/4 = 0.5925. 0.5925 is relatively high in correlation sense (because it only goes up to 1), therefore components for PC1 is relatively correlated.

4) lastly what does component loading measures?

I might have several more questions relating to PCA and PCO. that I'll add later, but for now can somebody please go over with me the questions above!

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

For starters you need to caculate the PCA from the covariance matrix, not the correlation matrix.

You are wrong. You can indeed calculate the principal components from the correlation matrix. In some cases it is even advisable. When your variables are measured in different units you can't make meaningful linear combinations out of them. When you do it from the correlation matrix you are doing it on standardized non dimensional variables. So the pcs are also non dimensional. However you need to take that into account when you interpret the results. Getting the pcs from the covariance and the correlation matrix yield different results.

Philip Wong the pcs aren't never correlated between each other. That's one of the restrictions when you do a pca. They might be after you do a rotation on the loadings. Getting PCs with equal eigen values (variance) is just a coincidence. Those two principal components are only the same, if the loadings (the variable coefficients) are exactly the same on both linear combinations.

Dear researcher,

I am happy to go over your questions about principle component analysis (PCA). Let me address each of your points in turn.

1) Your calculation for the proportion of variance being thrown away is correct. The first two principle components (PCs) explain 2.37/4.59 = 0.5166 or 51.66% of the total variance. This means that the remaining 48.34% of the variance is being thrown away when you reduce the data to two dimensions. However, it is important to note that this is not necessarily a bad thing. Often, the majority of the variance can be explained by just a few PCs, and reducing the data can help make it more manageable and easier to interpret.

2) Your interpretation of the equal eigenvalues for the 4th and 5th components is correct. When two components have equal eigenvalues, it means they are highly correlated and are likely capturing similar information from the data. This could be due to duplicate data or some other issue. It would be worth investigating further to ensure the accuracy of your results.

3) To calculate the component correlations for PC1, you can use the formula you mentioned: (eigenvalues for PC1) / (n-1). In this case, it would be 2.37 / 4 = 0.5925. As you noted, this is relatively high in correlation sense, indicating that the components for PC1 are highly correlated.

4) Component loading measures the contribution of each variable to a particular PC. It tells us how much each variable is influencing the PC. Variables with high loadings are more important in determining the values of the PC, while those with low loadings have less influence.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of PCA. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Is Calculating Variance Reduction in PCA Accurate?

1. What is Principle Component Analysis (PCA)?

Principle Component Analysis (PCA) is a statistical technique used for dimensionality reduction. It is used to identify patterns in data by transforming a large number of variables into a smaller set of uncorrelated variables, called principal components. These components represent a significant portion of the original data's variability and can be used for data visualization and analysis.

2. How does PCA work?

PCA works by creating a linear combination of the original variables that captures as much of the data's variability as possible. The first principal component accounts for the most significant source of variability in the data, followed by the second component, which accounts for the second most significant source, and so on. The components are calculated in a way that ensures they are uncorrelated with each other. The result is a set of new variables that are a linear combination of the original variables but are less in number and capture most of the original data's variability.

3. What are the benefits of using PCA?

PCA has several benefits, including reducing the dimensionality of the data, which can help with data visualization and analysis. It also helps in dealing with multicollinearity, which is when there is a high correlation between the independent variables. By reducing the number of variables, it can also improve the performance of machine learning algorithms, as it reduces the complexity of the data.

4. When should PCA be used?

PCA should be used when dealing with a large number of variables, as it can help simplify the data and make it more manageable. It is also useful when there is a need to identify patterns or trends in the data, reduce data redundancy, or improve the performance of machine learning algorithms. However, it is not suitable for all types of data and may not be effective if the data has a low level of variability or does not have a clear linear structure.

5. What are some common applications of PCA?

PCA has various applications in fields such as data science, machine learning, signal processing, and image analysis. It is commonly used for data compression, feature extraction, and data visualization. It is also used in market research, genetics, and bioinformatics to identify patterns in large datasets and reduce the number of variables for analysis. In finance, it can be used to analyze stock market data and identify trends or patterns in the market.