Principle of Virtual Work and the forces that DO NOT do work

In summary, the author found a way to solve a 2D problem using Hamilton's principle, modified to the principle of virtual work, and the principle of virtual momentum. However, he was confused about how to find the reaction forces that do no work. He solved the problem by cutting the body up into pieces and solving the equations for the support and interaction reaction forces.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
How do you get the reaction forces that do no work
In this 2D figure below, I can place:

• a motor at O
  • a motor at J
  • gravity on each link

I can use Hamilton's principle, modified to the principle of virtual work and I can compute the motion of the linkage system.

I do not have to account for these force FOUR forces (in this planar problem):
  1. 2 Reaction forces at O (they do no work)
  2. 2 Reaction forces at J (they do no work)
I have no difficulty with the previous work, above... The next part, counfounds me, and I ask for help.

However, how would I find those four reaction forces that do no work?

Would I first have to solve the entire problem using PVW, get the velocity, acceleration, angular velocity and angular acceleration?

And then, return to free body diagrams, and with the kinematics and inertial terms (mass and moment of inertia), go back and mathematically deduce what those forces SHOULD be?

How does software do it?

I have never seen a textbook discuss this. They just blithely (sometimes smugly) pronounce the power of PVW as being able to ignore forces that do no work (which is true and wonderful), but they never present a systematic way to go back and get those other forces that do no work.UNLESS: they enter as constraints, brought in by Lagrange multipliers. If so, then I must research that, alone (before bothering any of you--you have all been patient). However, in the absence of having to use that formality, how would YOU solve for these reaction forces that do no work? Can someone start me off so that I can then teach myself the Lagrange multipliers?

Attachments

• PVW.JPG
    PVW.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have changed my mind. This is a stupid question and the solution is simple. I am sorry for having wasted the time of some of you.

Trying2Learn said:
This is a stupid question and the solution is simple.
Why?
What that simple solution would be?

Lnewqban said:
Why?
What that simple solution would be?
Oh

THE FIRST PART: is that I use Principle of Virtual Work (PVW and calc.variations) and Generalized coordinates, and I find the angles and the motion. That was not my issue, though.

MY issue was now to get the reaction forces at the base, and between the two arms.

I was confused.

So I spent some time...

I cut the body up using Newton's third law (action and reaction) and get a series of equations for the support reaction forces and the interaction forces and I solved those, and I was done.

------------------------

I KNOW that it can ALSO be done by infusing the constraints directly with Lagrange multipliers, but I have never done that before.

What irritated me, is that most books just blithely state "we can solve for the motion by PVW since the reaction forces can be ignored (they do not work); but no book (at least the ones I have seen), takes the next step and shows you (Either by Free body Diagrams or Lagrange Multipliers) how to get the reactions.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work states that the virtual work done by all forces acting on a system in equilibrium is equal to zero. This means that the sum of the products of each force and its corresponding virtual displacement is equal to zero.

2. How is the principle of virtual work used in engineering?

The principle of virtual work is commonly used in engineering to analyze and solve problems involving static equilibrium. It allows engineers to determine unknown forces and displacements in a system by setting up and solving equations based on the principle.

3. What are forces that do not do work?

Forces that do not do work are those that do not cause any displacement in a system. These include normal forces, frictional forces, and constraint forces. These forces may still be present in a system, but they do not contribute to the work done on the system.

4. How can we identify forces that do not do work?

Forces that do not do work can be identified by looking at the direction of the force and the direction of the displacement. If the force and displacement are perpendicular, then the force does not do any work. Additionally, if the force is equal and opposite to another force in the system, then it does not do any work.

5. Can forces that do not do work be ignored in calculations?

Yes, forces that do not do work can be ignored in calculations involving the principle of virtual work. This is because they do not contribute to the work done on the system and therefore do not affect the equilibrium of the system. However, it is important to consider all forces in a system when analyzing its overall behavior and stability.