Principles similar to aero, hydro dynamics

• Thread starter seazal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, a heavy airliner on landing approach can be float because of the air pressure differences. This is similar to how an aircraft carrier floats on water due to the air pressure differences. Early Wright flyers also had warpable wings which suggests that the principles involved in lifting an aircraft are not new.
seazal
When you see a heavy airliner on landing approach, you'd be amaze how such heavy object can float in air. Not many know it's the air pressure differences that can cause it. There are still many who thought it was simply because the wings flap like birds.

It's similar to aircraft carrier floating on water. For the ignorant, it's unthinkable such heavy objects can float on water that is very light.

What are other principles similar to this where seemingly light substance such as air or water can support heavy object?

If Bohmian Mechnics were right, and there would be slight changes to conventional Quantum Mechanics, can the vacuum be biased or taken advantage of such that one can use it akin to airplane using air to fly or aircraft carrier using water to float?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Airplanes have lift because air is directed down. Wings are the agents that do this. Since your argument is based on an incorrect premise, the conclusions are invalid.

Vanadium 50 said:
Airplanes have lift because air is directed down. Wings are the agents that do this. Since your argument is based on an incorrect premise, the conclusions are invalid.

I edited it to "There are still many who thought it was simply because the wings flap like birds.". Many thought birds fly because the wings just flap up and down and they think a boat paddle can cause the boat to fly too given strong flapping, they were not aware of the air pressure thing that creates lift.

seazal said:
I edited it to "There are still many who thought it was simply because the wings flap like birds.". Many thought birds fly because the wings just flap up and down and they think a boat paddle can cause the boat to fly too given strong flapping, they were not aware of the air pressure thing that creates lift.

Can you validate any of these claims? Early Wright flyers had warpable wings but also an engine and prop. I've read early 20th newspaper reports that explain flight better. Any thinking person who has seen or flown on fixed-wing aircraft can see the wings do not 'flap'.

Likes russ_watters
seazal said:
There are still many who thought it was simply because the wings flap like birds.
I've never heard of anyone who believed that.
When you see a heavy airliner on landing approach, you'd be amaze how such heavy object can float in air. Not many know it's the air pressure differences that can cause it.

It's similar to aircraft carrier floating on water.

For the ignorant, it's unthinkable such heavy objects can float on water that is very light.
While it is due to pressure differences, like a floating aircraft carrier, the cause of the pressure differences is not at all similar to an aircraft carrier.

Klystron said:
Can you validate any of these claims? Early Wright flyers had warpable wings but also an engine and prop. I've read early 20th newspaper reports that explain flight better. Any thinking person who has seen or flown on fixed-wing aircraft can see the wings do not 'flap'.

Ask anyone randomly in the street why airplane fly. They would only say it's because they have wings. They mostly don't know about the air pressure differences principles that lift the wings.

seazal said:
Ask anyone randomly in the street why airplane fly. They would only say it's because they have wings. They mostly don't know about the air pressure differences principles that lift the wings.

I mean most people in the street doesn't know the following. I have actually asked them. They only know it's because they have wings.

So I was asking if there are other principles like this air splitting and lifting that can lift hundreds of tons of steel. It's unthinkable even before the Wright Bothers.

how-airfoil-wing-makes-lift.png

Attachments

• how-airfoil-wing-makes-lift.png
    how-airfoil-wing-makes-lift.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 434
Vanadium 50 said:
It is both because wings redirect air downwards (the so-called "Newtonian" explanation) and because they create a pressure difference between the upper and lower surface (the so-called "bernoulli" explanation). Both statements are true, and neither is, in and of itself, sufficient to really understand what is going on with an airfoil, and why the fluid flows the way it does (and therefore why the forces are what they are).

cjl said:
It is both because wings redirect air downwards (the so-called "Newtonian" explanation) and because they create a pressure difference between the upper and lower surface (the so-called "bernoulli" explanation). Both statements are true, and neither is, in and of itself, sufficient to really understand what is going on with an airfoil, and why the fluid flows the way it does (and therefore why the forces are what they are).

Yes. It is very clear how airfoiling works. But what year was this first realized or actually first understood? Was it the year 1500s or 1800s?

I would say a rudimentary explanation was understood in the 1800s (or perhaps even earlier), but a really good understanding didn't happen until the early 1900s. That having been said, I really don't think anyone believes lift comes from "flapping like birds".

cjl said:
I would say a rudimentary explanation was understood in the 1800s (or perhaps even earlier), but a really good understanding didn't happen until the early 1900s. That having been said, I really don't think anyone believes lift comes from "flapping like birds".

But if you will ask people randomly in the street how airplanes fly. They would only tell you it's because they have wings like birds and jet engines. They won't know anything about airfoil principle, at least more than 50% of them don't. I have actually tried asking them. Only scientifically oriented people understood this. But not your average citizen.

That said. The vacuum is only composed of virtual particles and quantum stuff, so we were not supposed to be able to harness it. But casimir plates can take advantage of it. Also due to Lorentz invariance, the vacuum is equivalent at all directions. But if Lorentz invariance was just a local symmetry, an emergence of something more fundamental (this was discussed in the arxiv). If you can influence the more fundamental degree of freedom, can't one bias the vacuum to create something akin to the pressure differences of surfaces in the airfoil principle and building spacecraft s that really on them? The universe is so elegant. It's very unlikely that spaceships were only limited by rockets in deep space and airfoil in atmospheric navigation which are quite medieval in approach.

They certainly won't say it's because they flap though. Frequently they'll have some handwavey explanation regarding bernoulli and air over the wing traveling faster, often based on the equal transit time fallacy, but I've never met anyone who thinks that airplanes flap their wings.

Also, I really don't see the relation to quantum mechanics, but I'll admit that I'm an aerodynamicist by training, not a quantum physicist, so my level of understanding of that kind of thing is more at the level of an interested amateur than a true expert.

cjl said:
They certainly won't say it's because they flap though. Frequently they'll have some handwavey explanation regarding bernoulli and air over the wing traveling faster, often based on the equal transit time fallacy, but I've never met anyone who thinks that airplanes flap their wings.

Most I asked never heard of Bernoulli or air over the wing traveling faster and stuff. They just know planes have wings like birds. And jet engines were used for take off then the plane glides because of the wings. So it's like they thought the flapping function was replaced by jet engines. Try going to China and ask the natives how planes fly and you would get ideas of their answers. Of course if you ask Silicon Valley engineers, they have better rough idea.
Also, I really don't see the relation to quantum mechanics, but I'll admit that I'm an aerodynamicist by training, not a quantum physicist, so my level of understanding of that kind of thing is more at the level of an interested amateur than a true expert.

@seazal
Several members have asked for scientific citations. Please provide them - from accepted journals or standard textbooks. That is how PF "flies" - we do not correct or condone personal theory. Not citations and the thread will be closed. Thank you for understanding our position.

jim mcnamara said:
@seazal
Several members have asked for scientific citations. Please provide them - from accepted journals or standard textbooks. That is how PF "flies" - we do not correct or condone personal theory. Not citations and the thread will be closed. Thank you for understanding our position.

What? I was just asking what other principles similar to the simplicity of airfoil. Before the 1800s, it was hard to imagine that mere air flow (that we hardly feel) over curved surface can lift thousands of tons of aircrafts (like space shuttle gliding down). So I'd like to know what other principles of physics have similar nature. I can think of one, hydraulics, what else?

Thread closed.

1. What is the main difference between aero and hydro dynamics?

Aero dynamics deals with the study of forces and movements of objects through air, while hydro dynamics deals with the study of forces and movements of objects through water.

2. How are principles of aero and hydro dynamics used in practical applications?

The principles of aero and hydro dynamics are used in the design and development of various vehicles such as airplanes, ships, and submarines. They are also used in the design of wind turbines, pumps, and other machinery that operate in fluid environments.

3. What are some common examples of phenomena that can be explained by aero and hydro dynamics?

Some common examples include lift and drag forces on an airplane wing, Bernoulli's principle in fluid flow, and the formation of waves in water.

4. How do aero and hydro dynamics relate to each other?

Aero and hydro dynamics are both branches of fluid dynamics, which is the study of how fluids behave and interact with objects. They both use similar principles and equations to describe fluid flow, but with different key factors such as density and viscosity.

5. What are some current research topics in aero and hydro dynamics?

Some current research topics include developing more efficient and environmentally friendly propulsion systems for airplanes and ships, improving the design of wind turbines for renewable energy, and studying the effects of fluid flow on marine life and ecosystems.