Prob(2 heads | first flip is head)

• Thread starter operationsres
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the formula P(B|A) = \frac{P(B \cap A)}{P(A)} to determine \textrm{Prob}(2 \textrm{heads}|\textrm{first flip is head}). The sets A and B are defined as A = {HH,HT} and B = {HH}, and the solution is found by computing the cardinalities of these sets. The final answer is 50%.
operationsres
EDIT: I think I may have solved it a few minutes after I posted. See below for proposed solution ...

Homework Statement

Determine [itex]\textrm{Prob}(2 \textrm{heads}|\textrm{first flip is head})[/itex] by using the formula [itex]P(B|A) = \frac{P(B \cap A)}{P(A)}[/itex]. Specifically, determine what the sets A and B are .

2. The attempt at a solution

Clearly the state space has collapsed to [itex]\Omega = \{HH, HT\}[/itex], and the [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra is [itex]\bf{F}=\{\{ \},\Omega,\{HH\},\{HT\}\}[/itex]. Let Z be the event [itex]Z = \{HH\}[/itex] within [itex]\Omega[/itex].

The probability is easily computed as the cardinality of Z divided by the cardinality of the [itex]\Omega[/itex], i.e. Prob(2 heads|first flip is head) = 0.5.

My problem is that I can't figure out what sets A and B are supposed to be such that [itex]P(B|A) = \frac{P(B \cap A)}{P(A)}[/itex] gives me 50%.

EDIT: I think I might have solved it. Let A = {HH,HT} and B = {HH}, then A[itex]\cap[/itex]B = {HH}, and Prob({HH})=0.25.

The denominator is P({HH,HT}) = 2/4 = 0.5.

0.25/0.5 = 50%, which is the correct solution.Feel free to delete if this is correct ...

Physics news on Phys.org

operationsres said:
EDIT: I think I might have solved it. Let A = {HH,HT} and B = {HH}, then A[itex]\cap[/itex]B = {HH}, and Prob({HH})=0.25.

The denominator is P({HH,HT}) = 2/4 = 0.5.

0.25/0.5 = 50%, which is the correct solution.
Yes that's correct. :)

Related to Prob(2 heads | first flip is head)

1. What is the probability of getting two heads in a row if the first flip is heads?

The probability of getting two heads in a row if the first flip is heads is 0.5, or 50%. This is because each flip of a coin is an independent event, so the outcome of the first flip does not affect the outcome of the second flip.

2. How is the probability of getting two heads in a row affected if the first flip is tails?

If the first flip is tails, the probability of getting two heads in a row decreases to 0.25, or 25%. This is because the first flip has already eliminated one possibility (two heads in a row), leaving only three possible outcomes for the second flip: heads and tails, tails and heads, or tails and tails.

3. Is the probability of getting two heads in a row different if the coin is biased?

Yes, the probability of getting two heads in a row can be different if the coin is biased. For example, if the coin is biased to always land on heads, the probability of getting two heads in a row would be 1, or 100%. However, if the coin is biased to always land on tails, the probability would be 0, or 0%.

4. How does the probability of getting two heads in a row change if more flips are added?

The more flips that are added, the lower the probability of getting two heads in a row becomes. For example, if the first flip is heads and a second flip is added, the probability becomes 0.25. If a third flip is added, the probability becomes 0.125, and so on. This is because the more flips that are added, the more possible outcomes there are and the less likely it becomes to get two heads in a row.

5. Can the probability of getting two heads in a row be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the probability of getting two heads in a row can be calculated using the formula P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B). In this case, A represents the first flip being heads and B represents the second flip being heads. Since each flip has a probability of 0.5, the formula would be 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25, which is the same as the answer in question 2.