Probabilistic interpretation of wave function

In summary: The Schrodinger equation can't be derived from anywhere else, it is just like the F=ma equation, but it is much more sophisticated. The reason the -\frac{\hbar}{2m} and i\hbar come from is because the wavefunction is a complex compound, and to get a real magnitude we need to take the square root of that. But there is no mathematical proof that explains why this is the case.
coki2000
I just start to study quantum mechanics and i don't understand why square of wave function is probability density function. I think the reason of taking square of wave function is because we should eliminate complex compounds of wave function to get a real magnitute. But after why don't we take square root of that? Is there any mathematical proof which explains the reason? Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
coki2000, This is the most basic, fundamental axiom of quantum mechanics. You are not allowed to ask why! Seriously, no one knows why, except the fact that everything depends on a complex probability amplitude and not just a real probability is what makes quantum mechanics so different from classical mechanics. It makes interference possible.

Thank you for your reply.
"The discovery that the symbol [tex]\Psi [/tex] in the Schrödinger equation represents a probability density took many years and arose only after much work by many physicists."

I have read this from a book of quantum mechanics so I wonder this "much work" in the quote. It is also mentioned that the Schrödinger equation cannot be
derived from anywhere else and it is just like the F=ma but I can't understand where [tex]-\frac{\hbar}{2m}[/tex] and [tex]i\hbar[/tex] come from. It is a phenomenological equation but also very sophisticated than F=ma. So I think there must be an explanation to where they come from. Thanks.

Again, the fact that Ψ(x) represents a probability amplitude is an axiom. You can't ask where an axiom came from. You can't say to Euclid, "Hey, where did you get that parallel postulate?" But what you *can* do is verify how well it works, and see that it does not contradict anything else. That's what the rest of the course will be about.
The discovery that the Ψ(x) in the Schrödinger equation represents a probability density took many years and arose only after much work by many physicists.

I don't agree with that. Ψ(x) always was a probability amplitude. But even if it was not, it is a mistake to try to learn a subject by retracing its history. If you want to learn relativity, the last thing you should do is try to go through Einstein's early papers to see what he was thinking 100 years ago and how he was led to the theory. It's irrelevant, not to mention laborious and time-wasteful. Doing this means you will drag through every mistake he made, every misunderstanding he ever had. We understand the theory now better than Einstein ever did. Learn it the right way from the beginning, not the umpteen wrong ways.

Many blind alleys were followed during the development of quantum mechanics, and many of these incorrect ideas are still around, occupying people's minds. Just realize from the beginning that quantum mechanics is not classical mechanics, and cannot be understood by trying to force it into that mold.

It is a phenomenological equation but also very sophisticated than F=ma. So I think there must be an explanation to where they come from. Thanks.

There is -- the constants you mentioned are not arbitrary, despite appearances. Do you have a copy of Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics? I would refer you to sections 1.6, 1.7, 2.1, and 2.4 for really good explanations of where the Schrodinger equation comes from. Like Bill_K said, it can't be derived as such, but Sakurai does a really good job of motivating it from a couple of simple principles.

coki2000 said:
Thank you for your reply.I have read this from a book of quantum mechanics so I wonder this "much work" in the quote. It is also mentioned that the Schrödinger equation cannot be
derived from anywhere else and it is just like the F=ma but I can't understand where [tex]-\frac{\hbar}{2m}[/tex] and [tex]i\hbar[/tex] come from. It is a phenomenological equation but also very sophisticated than F=ma. So I think there must be an explanation to where they come from. Thanks.

On one of my books it first derives the momentum operator
[tex]\mathbf{p}=-i\hbar\nabla[/tex]
then constructs the Hamiltonian operator (if you don't know what is Hamiltonian, think of it as energy; most of time it is correct to assume that) from correspondence principle
[tex]H=\frac{\mathbf{p}^{2}}{2m}+V=-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\nabla^{2}+V[/tex]
Then it goes on the explain why Hamilton corresponds to time evolution, and concluded that for any allowed wavefunction,
[tex]\hat{H}\psi=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi[/tex]

It is not a real "derivation", but it is easiest to remember Schrodinger equation.

Related to Probabilistic interpretation of wave function

What is the probabilistic interpretation of wave function?

The probabilistic interpretation of wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It states that the wave function of a quantum system represents the probability of finding the system in a particular state when measured.

How is the probability described in the probabilistic interpretation of wave function?

The probability in this interpretation is described by the square of the amplitude of the wave function. This means that the higher the amplitude of the wave function, the more likely it is to find the system in that state when measured.

What is the role of uncertainty in the probabilistic interpretation of wave function?

Uncertainty plays a key role in this interpretation, as it is impossible to predict with certainty the exact state of a quantum system before it is measured. Instead, the wave function represents the range of possible states and their corresponding probabilities.

How does the probabilistic interpretation of wave function differ from classical mechanics?

The probabilistic interpretation of wave function differs from classical mechanics in that it allows for the description of systems at the microscopic level, where classical mechanics fails. It also introduces the concept of uncertainty and the wave-particle duality of particles.

What are some practical applications of the probabilistic interpretation of wave function?

The probabilistic interpretation of wave function is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which has led to important technological advancements such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also has implications in fields such as cryptography and quantum computing.