Probability: B needs to shoot more times than A

• Thread starter SamTaylor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability that B will need to shoot more times than A before hitting a target, given that A has a probability of Pa and B has a probability of Pb of hitting the target on a single shot. The hint from the book suggests using the principle of total probability to calculate this, and the conversation includes a breakdown of the equations and solutions for this problem.
SamTaylor
Hi

I am having some problems solving this exercise. Can somebody give a hint on how to solve this. The hint from the book is not really helping me.

Homework Statement

Two sharpshooters, A and B, are going to shoot at a target. A has probability Pa of hitting it on a single shot; B has probability Pb of hitting it on a single shot. Wheater the target is struck on anyone shot is statistically independent of whether it is struck on any other shot. What is the probability that B needs to shoot more times before hitting the target than A?

(Hint from the book:
1. Suppose that A hits the target for the first time on his nth shot.
2. Calculate the probabity that B shoots more than n times before hitting the target
3. Then use the principle of total probabity to account for all values of n from 1 ad infinium)

Homework Equations

Pr(M AND M) = Pr(M|Ai)*Pr(Ai)
Pr(M) = Pr(M|A1)*Pr(A1) + Pr(M|A2)*Pr(A2) ...

The Attempt at a Solution

P(A nth shot) = Pa*(1-Pa)^(n-1)
P(B nth+1 shot) = Pb*(1-Pb)^n
?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You could think of it this way. In each trial, each shooter keeps shooting until he hits the target. Say A hits the target on shot nA and B hits the target on shot nB. You have a bunch of possible outcomes (nA,nB). The outcome (1,1) would mean they both hit on their first shot; (1,2) would mean A hits on the first shot and B hits on his second shot; (2,1) would mean A needed two shots and B only one; and so on. What's the probability P(nA,nB) of outcome (nA,nB)?

Finally, the event you're interested in consists of the outcomes where nB>nA. How would you express that in terms of the probabilities of the individual outcomes?

> What's the probability [tex]P(n_A,n_B)[/tex] of outcome [tex](n_A,n_B)[/tex]?

[tex]P(n_a,n_b) = P_a*(1-P_a)^{(n_a-1)}*P_b*(1-P_b)^{(n_b-1)}[/tex]

> Finally, the event you're interested in consists of the outcomes where [tex]n_B>n_A[/tex].
> How would you express that in terms of the probabilities of the individual outcomes?

I have no clue.

Then you better go back and review basic probability.

> Then you better go back and review basic probability.

I already did. I guess here is some point i don't understand.
So is the first assumption i did for [tex]P(n_a,n_b)[/tex] also wrong?

Your expression for P(nA,nB) is correct.

with the help of
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} q^n = \frac{1}{1-q}[/tex]

[tex]P(b > a) = \sum_{n_a}^{\infty} \sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^{\infty} P(a_n,a_b) = 1-P_b[/tex]

is this correct ?

No, it's not correct. Your answer should depend on pA somehow. Let pB be fixed. If pA>pB, you'd expect A would typically hit the target before B does. If pA<pB, you'd expect B would hit the target before A does generally. So the probability P(nB>nA) should be different in the two cases, but your answer would say they're the same.

Oh i think i found the mistake!

[tex]\frac{P_a (1-P_b)}{1-(1-P_b)(1-P_a)}[/tex]

Which looks right to me, because when Pa goes higher, P(nb>na) -> Pb

Looks good!

The summation could be written

[tex]P(N_A>N_B) = \sum_{n_a=1}^\infty \sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^\infty P(n_a,n_b) = \sum_{n_a=1}^\infty P_a(1-P_a)^{n_a-1} \sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^\infty P_b(1-P_b)^{n_b-1}[/tex]

The sum

[tex]\sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^\infty P_b(1-P_b)^{n_b-1}[/tex]

is the probability P(NB>NA|N_a=nA) that B shoots more times than A does given that A hits on shot nA. This is the probability that hint 2 asked you to find. The other sum corresponds to hint 3, so you have in the end

[tex]P(N_A>N_B) = \sum_{n_a=1}^\infty P(N_B>N_A|N_a=n_A)P(N_A=n_A)[/tex]

Related to Probability: B needs to shoot more times than A

1. What is the concept of probability in this scenario?

The concept of probability in this scenario refers to the likelihood or chance of a particular event occurring. In this case, it is the likelihood of B needing to shoot more times than A.

2. How is probability calculated in this situation?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. In this scenario, it would be the number of times B needs to shoot more than A divided by the total number of shots taken by both A and B.

3. What factors can affect the probability of B needing to shoot more times than A?

The main factors that can affect the probability in this scenario are the shooting abilities of A and B, the distance and difficulty of the shots, and any external factors such as weather or fatigue.

4. How can probability be used to predict the outcome of this scenario?

Probability can be used to make predictions about the likelihood of B needing to shoot more times than A. For example, if B has a higher shooting accuracy than A, the probability of B needing to shoot more times would be higher.

5. Can probability be used to guarantee the outcome of this scenario?

No, probability cannot guarantee the outcome of this scenario. It only provides a measure of likelihood based on the given factors. Other variables and chance can still affect the actual outcome.