Probability, Diagonals of a convex polygon

In summary, there is a 2 in 9 chance that the diagonals will intersect in the interior of the polygon.
Saitama

Homework Statement

In a convex polygon of 6 sides, 2 diagonals are selected at random. The probability that they intersect in the interior of the polygon is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are 9 diagonals in a polygon of 6 sides. Therefore the total cases are 9C2. But how would i go about finding the favourable cases? I don't have a clue on how to proceed further. I basically can't understand how can i show that the diagonals intersect in the interior of the polygon.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about a drawing? ehild

Pranav-Arora said:
There are 9 diagonals in a polygon of 6 sides.
Depends how you define a diagonal. There are 6 'degenerate' diagonals. But ok, let's not count those.
Try breaking it into three cases, according to how many endpoints the two diagonals share.
For the case where they share none, think of it as choosing the four points and then deciding how to pair them into diagonals.

haruspex said:
For the case where they share none, think of it as choosing the four points and then deciding how to pair them into diagonals.
Its a little difficult for me to understand your post completely because of the language barrier. :redface:

To select 4 points, i will use 6C4, but i am not sure how would i pair the points into diagonals.

Pranav-Arora said:
Its a little difficult for me to understand your post completely because of the language barrier. :redface:

To select 4 points, i will use 6C4, but i am not sure how would i pair the points into diagonals.
Select 2 (how many ways?) for one pair of endpoints, leaving 2 for the other. In what fraction of cases would they cross?

For the first diagonal: Start from a vertex. What are the possible diagonals?
Case 1. Directly opposite (one of that kind)
Case 2. Not directly opposite (two of those kind).

For the second diagonal:
Case 1. 2 points on either side of the diagonal. How do you choose 2 points out of these to make second diagonal cross the first one?
Case 2. 1 point on one side, 3 on other side. How do you choose 2 points out of these to make second diagonal cross the first one?

Sourabh N said:
For the first diagonal: Start from a vertex. What are the possible diagonals?
Case 1. Directly opposite (one of that kind)
Case 2. Not directly opposite (two of those kind).
Yes.
For the second diagonal:
Case 1. 2 points on either side of the diagonal. How do you choose 2 points out of these to make second diagonal cross the first one?
You have only 2 points left, and it seems to me that in this case the diagonals must cross.
Case 2. 1 point on one side, 3 on other side. How do you choose 2 points out of these to make second diagonal cross the first one?
Again, you have only 2 points left, but in this case they cannot cross, right?
So, given the four points, what is the probability that the diagonals cross?

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the probability formula: P(event) = favorable outcomes / total possible outcomes.

3. What is the probability of a diagonal of a convex polygon?

The probability of a diagonal of a convex polygon depends on the number of sides the polygon has and the specific diagonal being considered. In general, the probability of any given diagonal being chosen as a side of a convex polygon is equal to 1 divided by the number of sides of the polygon.

4. Can the probability of a diagonal of a convex polygon be greater than 1?

No, the probability of a diagonal of a convex polygon cannot be greater than 1 as it is a measure of likelihood and must fall between 0 and 1.

5. How does the number of sides of a convex polygon affect the probability of choosing a diagonal?

The number of sides of a convex polygon directly affects the probability of choosing a diagonal. As the number of sides increases, the probability of any given diagonal being chosen decreases, as there are more possible combinations of sides. This relationship can be expressed as: P(diagonal) = 1/n, where n is the number of sides of the polygon.