Probability of Collecting a New Type of Coupon After n Coupons Collected

• Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collector
Actually, I don't think you need to know what coupons have already been collected, as long as you know how many have been collected. But I think you need to account for the probability of getting a new type at each step, not just the probability of not getting a specific type. So the probability of getting a new type on the second purchase would be 1 - p1^2 - p2^2 - ... - pn^2, where p1 is the probability of getting a type 1 coupon on the first purchase, p2 is the probability of getting a type 2 coupon on the first purchase, etc. Does that make sense?
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose that you continually collect coupons and that there are m different types. Suppose also that each time a new coupon is obtained, it is a type i coupon with probability [itex] p_{i} [/itex], i = 1,.. m. Suppose you have just collected your n th coupon. What is the probability that it is a new type?
Hint: condition on the type of coupon

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that after (n-1) collected coupons, the prob that you collected a specific coupon is (1/m)^(n-1) => the prob that you didn't collect a specific coupon was (1-(1/m))^(n-1).

I also let [itex] A_{i}[/itex] be the event that a new coupon was collected on collection i and I wanted to determine [itex] P(A_{n})[/itex] but I ddn't get very far with this approach.
I am unsure of what to try next.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CAF123! :smile:
CAF123 said:
you continually collect coupons and that there are m different types. Suppose also that each time a new coupon is obtained, it is a type i coupon with probability [itex] p_{i} [/itex], i = 1,.. m. Suppose you have just collected your n th coupon. What is the probability that it is a new type?

Since the probability is ∑ pi for the types so far,

but even if you know which types so far, you don't know how many of them,

i'd try 1 - ∑ pi for the types not so far (since you know there's exactly 0 of them!).

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that you continually collect coupons and that there are m different types. Suppose also that each time a new coupon is obtained, it is a type i coupon with probability [itex] p_{i} [/itex], i = 1,.. m. Suppose you have just collected your n th coupon. What is the probability that it is a new type?
Hint: condition on the type of coupon

I said that after (n-1) collected coupons, the prob that you collected a specific coupon is (1/m)^(n-1) => the prob that you didn't collect a specific coupon was (1-(1/m))^(n-1).

I also let [itex] A_{i}[/itex] be the event that a new coupon was collected on collection i and I wanted to determine [itex] P(A_{n})[/itex] but I ddn't get very far with this approach.
I am unsure of what to try next.
Thanks

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The question is somewhat ambiguous, but I interpret "collected your nth coupon" to mean that you finally have n different types in your collection, but you may have purchased many more and thrown many away because they were not different from one you had already. (That is the standard interpretation in the so-called coupon collector's problem.)

Your proposed solution does not account properly for the fact that n (different) types have been collected already. For example, in the classical problem we have all p_i = 1/m for i = 1,2, ..., m. If n = 1 the probability that the next purchased coupon is the same as the first one is 1/m, so the probability that it is different is 1-1/m. By the time you have collected n = m-1 different coupons, the probability that the next purchased coupon is different is 1/m. Things to the power of n do not come into it.

However, what is worse is that your solution does not account for the fact that different coupons have different probabilities p_i. I will just look at the second coupon. After collecting 1 coupon, what is the probability that your second purchased coupon is different from it? Look instead at the probability it is the same. If we don't observe exactly what the first collected coupon is (say a friend is collecting coupons for us in another room and we don't see what is happening---all we get is a signal saying "same" or "different"). In that type of scenario, the probability of S (same) given the first is of type i (event Fi) is
[tex]P\{S\} = \sum_{i=1}^m P(S|F_i) P(F_i) = \sum p_i \cdot p_i = \sum p_i^2.[/tex] So, the probability your next purchased coupon is different from the first one is ##1 - \sum p_i^2.## This is the result you want if n = 1.

Things start to get complicated if you have already collected n = 2 different coupons, and they are even worse for n = 3, etc.

However, maybe the problem assumes you _do_ know what coupons have already been collected. By relabelling if necessary, assume you already have coupons 1,2, ...,n and want to know the probability of collecting coupon n+1 or n+2 or ..., or coupon m on the next purchase. Can you see how to compute that?

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
The question is somewhat ambiguous, but I interpret "collected your nth coupon" to mean that you finally have n different types in your collection, but you may have purchased many more and thrown many away because they were not different from one you had already. (That is the standard interpretation in the so-called coupon collector's problem.)

Your proposed solution does not account properly for the fact that n (different) types have been collected already. For example, in the classical problem we have all p_i = 1/m for i = 1,2, ..., m. If n = 1 the probability that the next purchased coupon is the same as the first one is 1/m, so the probability that it is different is 1-1/m. By the time you have collected n = m-1 different coupons, the probability that the next purchased coupon is different is 1/m. Things to the power of n do not come into it.

However, what is worse is that your solution does not account for the fact that different coupons have different probabilities p_i. I will just look at the second coupon. After collecting 1 coupon, what is the probability that your second purchased coupon is different from it? Look instead at the probability it is the same. If we don't observe exactly what the first collected coupon is (say a friend is collecting coupons for us in another room and we don't see what is happening---all we get is a signal saying "same" or "different"). In that type of scenario, the probability of S (same) given the first is of type i (event Fi) is
[tex]P\{S\} = \sum_{i=1}^m P(S|F_i) P(F_i) = \sum p_i \cdot p_i = \sum p_i^2/[/tex] So, the probability your next purchased coupon is different from the first one is ##1 - \sum p_i^2.## This is the result you want if n = 1.

Similarly, if n = 2 the probability you want is ##1 - (\sum p_i^2 - \sum p_i^3), ## etc. I have not yet extended this to n = 3 or n = 4, etc.; it starts to get complicated.

However, maybe the problem assumes you do know what coupons have already been collected. By relabelling if necessary, assume we already have coupons 1,2, ...,n and want to know the probability of collecting coupon n+1 or n+2 or ..., or coupon m on the next purchase. Can you see how to compute that?

RGV
I think the problem assumes you know what coupons have been collected before the nth collection (at least that is what i understood). I don't see how to compute what you have suggested. Can you give some hints?

CAF123 said:
I think the problem assumes you know what coupons have been collected before the nth collection (at least that is what i understood). I don't see how to compute what you have suggested. Can you give some hints?

I have edited my original message; refer to the revised version.

RGV

However, maybe the problem assumes you _do_ know what coupons have already been collected. By relabelling if necessary, assume you already have coupons 1,2, ...,n and want to know the probability of collecting coupon n+1 or n+2 or ..., or coupon m on the next purchase. Can you see how to compute that?

RGV
I don't quite see how to compute this. Any hints?

Related to Probability of Collecting a New Type of Coupon After n Coupons Collected

What is the Coupon Collector Problem?

The Coupon Collector Problem is a classic mathematical problem that involves collecting a set of distinct objects by repeatedly choosing one at random from a larger pool of objects.

What is the goal of the Coupon Collector Problem?

The goal of the Coupon Collector Problem is to determine the expected number of trials needed to collect all of the objects in the set.

What is the formula for calculating the expected number of trials in the Coupon Collector Problem?

The formula for calculating the expected number of trials is n * (Hn), where n is the number of distinct objects in the set and Hn is the nth harmonic number.

What is the significance of the Coupon Collector Problem?

The Coupon Collector Problem has applications in various fields such as probability, statistics, and computer science. It helps in understanding the expected number of trials needed in situations involving random sampling, such as in marketing and market research.

What are some real-world examples of the Coupon Collector Problem?

Some real-world examples of the Coupon Collector Problem include collecting a full set of trading cards or stamps, collecting all the pieces of a puzzle, or collecting all the pieces of a particular type of furniture from a store.