Probability of forming an increasing Geometric Progression

I would hope that the students taking this course would be able to make the same inference. If not, well... they probably won't do very well on the exam anyway.In summary, this conversation discusses the probability of three numbers chosen randomly from a set forming an increasing geometric progression. The probability is given by the equation P(n) = 2(n+1/2 C 2)/(n+1 C 3), where n is the number of terms in the set. If n is odd, the probability is 3/2n, and if n is even, the probability is 3n/2(n²-1). The options given in the problem are not consistent with this equation, leading to a discussion about whether order
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If three number are chosen randomly from the set ##{1,3,3^2,...3^n}## without replacement, then the probability that they form an increasing geometric progression is?
(a) 3/2n if n is odd
(b) 3/2n if n is even
(c)3n/2(n² -1) if n is even
(d) 3n/2(n² -1) if n is odd

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem can be easily solved if I chose the end terms first.
Let ##3^a## be the first term and ##3^b## be the third term. Then the middle term has to be ##3^{\frac{a+b}{2}}##.
Now, both ##a## and ##b## have to be even or both has to be odd.
let ##n## be odd. Then number of terms with even exponents=##\frac{n+1}{2}##
number of terms with odd exponents=##\frac{n+1}{2}##
Total number of ways of choosing 2 numbers ##3^a## and ##3^b## = ##2\cdot ^{\frac{n+1}{2}}C_2##
Probability is $$P(n)=\frac{2\cdot ^{\frac{n+1}{2}}C_2}{^{n+1}C_3}$$
But I am not getting the answers given in the options.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by checking n =2 and n = 3, those cases are pretty straightforward and should at least eliminate some of your options.

For n=3, the series is ##1,3,9,27##
The possible GPs are : ##1,3,9## and ##3,9,27##.
Probability is ##2/4=1/2##.
I get the same answer if I substitute ##n=3## in ##P(n)##

Simplifying your equation for P(n) does give one of the answers for n odd.
Have you worked it out for n even?

## P(n) = 2 \frac{ (\frac{n+1}{2} )! }{ (\frac{n+1}{2}-2 )! 2!} \frac{ (n+1-3)!(3)!}{ (n+1)!}##

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:
For n=3, the series is ##1,3,9,27##
The possible GPs are : ##1,3,9## and ##3,9,27##.
Probability is ##2/4=1/2##.
I get the same answer if I substitute ##n=3## in ##P(n)##

I do not get your answer 1/2.

Let's condition on the first chosen number, so ##P(GP|i) =## the (conditional) probability of a GP, given the first chosen number is ##i##, for ##i = 1, 3##.

Given ##i = 1## as the first number chosen, that leaves ##3, 9, 27##. The chance of choosing ##3## next is ##1/3##; that leaves ##9, 27##, from which we must choose ##9##. Thus, ##P(GP|1) = (1/3)(1/2) = 1/6##.

Given ##i = 3## that leaves ##1, 9, 27##, from which we must next choose ##9##, then choose ##27## from the remaining set ##1, 27##. Thus, ##P(GP|3) = (1/3)(1/2) = 1/6##.

Altogether, we have ##P(GP) = P(1) PGP|1) + P(3) P(GP|3) = (1/4)(1/6) + (1/4)(1/6) = 1/12##.

I think the question implies that order doesn't matter. Simply that the 3 choices form a geometric progression.
That is to say, for n=2, P=1.

RUber said:
Simplifying your equation for P(n) does give one of the answers for n odd.
Have you worked it out for n even?

## P(n) = 2 \frac{ (\frac{n+1}{2} )! }{ (\frac{n+1}{2}-2 )! 2!} \frac{ (n+1-3)!(3)!}{ (n+1)!}##
Yes. Only difference is that, number of ways of choosing ##3^a## and ##3^b## is ##^{\frac{n}{2}+1}C_2+^{\frac{n}{2}}C_2##

@Ray Vickson , are you considering that the probability of choosing the second term changes after choosing the first term? I have considered that all three terms are picked at once.

So, are A and C both correct?

Likes Titan97
Its a "more than one correct" type question.

Titan97 said:
Its a "more than one correct" type question.

RUber said:
I think the question implies that order doesn't matter. Simply that the 3 choices form a geometric progression.
That is to say, for n=2, P=1.

Well, they DID say increasing GP. I would assume that if they just meant "geometric progression (in any order)" they would have omitted the word "increasing", because it would be redundant.

However, I suppose this is a moot point.

Last edited:
Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:
@Ray Vickson , are you considering that the probability of choosing the second term changes after choosing the first term? I have considered that all three terms are picked at once.

Yes, because that is typically what is meant when speaking of choosing things without replacement. However, let's look carefully at the way you wanted to do it.

If order does matter (so {1,3,9} is acceptable, but not {3,1,9} or {9,1,3} ... ) then you need to use permutations, not combinations. The number of permutations of 3 things drawn from 4 distinct things is ##_4P_3 = 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 = 24##. Among these 24 possibilities, only two of them (namely, {1,3,9} and {3,9,27}) are acceptable, so you end up with a probability of 2/24 = 1/12, exactly as obtained from the sequential, one-at-a-time argument.

If order does not matter we should look at combinations instead of permutations. There are ##_4C_3 = 4## possible "outcomes", among which two of them are "acceptable", so the probability you want would be 1/2.

Last edited:
Likes Titan97
Ray Vickson said:
Well, they DID say increasing GP. I would assume that if they just meant "geometric progression (in any order)" they would have omitted the word "increasing", because it would be redundant.

However, I suppose this is a moot if point.

I think the answer selection implied that order didn't matter much more convincingly than the question itself.
My initial sense was to interpret it the same way, but when n=2 plugged into the answer choices gave 3/4 or 1, and 1/6 was nowhere to be seen, I had to infer that order didn't matter.

Likes Titan97

Related to Probability of forming an increasing Geometric Progression

What is a geometric progression?

A geometric progression is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio.

How do you calculate the probability of forming an increasing geometric progression?

The probability of forming an increasing geometric progression can be calculated by finding the ratio between the number of possible increasing geometric progressions and the total number of possible geometric progressions.

What factors affect the probability of forming an increasing geometric progression?

The main factor that affects the probability of forming an increasing geometric progression is the range of numbers that are being considered. The larger the range, the lower the probability will be.

Can the probability of forming an increasing geometric progression be greater than 1?

No, the probability of forming an increasing geometric progression cannot be greater than 1 as it represents the likelihood of an event occurring, which cannot be greater than 100%.

How is the probability of forming an increasing geometric progression useful in real-world applications?

The concept of probability in forming increasing geometric progressions is used in various fields such as finance, science, and engineering to make predictions and analyze data. It helps in making informed decisions and understanding patterns in data.