Probability of getting an ace in case of a loaded die

In summary: It is the same as the probability of needing at most 15 tosses to get one ace. And since this is the complement of the probability of needing more than 15 tosses to get one ace, we only need to calculate the latter and subtract from 1. This is what Pushoam did. And I agree with you that it is simpler to think of the first ace.In summary, the conversation involves calculating probabilities of events involving dice throws and using Bayes' theorem. The conversation also discusses the concept of independent events and subsets. The summary includes a simplified solution for the probability of getting an ace in one throw and in multiple throws, as well as clarifying the difference between the probability of getting at least one
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-21_17-15-19.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

12)a)
a) Since both events are independent : P( 33) = 9 / 441

b) Let’s have

4: throwing 4

Not 4 : not throwing 4

P ( 4 and not throwing 4 ) = P( 4) P ( not throwing 4) = (17*4)/441c) Let’s consider the sample event S for the above problem:

S : {(6,4),(4,6),(5,6),(6,5),(5,5),(6,6)}

Probability of getting 5 and 5 under given condition is : P(55/S)

Using Bayes’ theorem,

P(55/S) = P(55 and S)/ P(S)As S contains (5,5) as a sample point, P(55 and S) = P(55)

Is it always true that P (A and B) = P (A),when A is a subset of B ?P(55/S) = ## \frac { \frac {5 *5 } {21*21 } } {(2*6*4 +2*5*6 +25+36)/441 } ##

= ## \frac { 25 } { 169 } ##d) I think what the question says is:

I throw the dice n times, what is the probability that I will get an ace once?
The dice throwing n times and getting an ace once is equivalent to that I have n boxes and I have to put one ace in any of these n boxes. The probability of getting an ace is 1/21 in one throw. So, the probability of getting one ace in n throws is n/21.Now, ## \frac { n } {21 } \geq ½

\\ n \geq 11 ##
e) S = {(2,5),(2,6), (4,5),(4,6), (6,5),(6,6)}

P(S) = 132/441

Is this correct ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-21_17-15-19.png
    upload_2017-11-21_17-15-19.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 921
Physics news on Phys.org
A) Simplfiy the 9/441
B) Good
C) Good
D) The probability of not getting an ace in 1 throw is 20/21. In N throws, the probability of no ace is (20/21)^N.
E) Simplify 132/441

.Scott said:
D) The probability of not getting an ace in 1 throw is 20/21. In N throws, the probability of no ace is (20/21)^N.

The probability of getting not " no ace" i.e. at least one ace in N throws is:
1- ## {\frac{20}{21}}^N##.
Now, 1- ## {\frac{20}{21}}^N \geq 0.5
\\ N = 15##
But, this will tell me probabilty of getting at least one ace, not exacctly one ace.

Hey, didn't my reply come through ? Weird. Your logic in d) is the same as claiming you have 100% chance of throwing a six in six throws with an unloaded die.

In the problem wording 'an ace' means 'not zero aces'

Pushoam said:
The probability of getting not " no ace" i.e. at least one ace in N throws is:
1- ## {\frac{20}{21}}^N##.
Now, 1- ## {\frac{20}{21}}^N \geq 0.5
\\ N = 15##
But, this will tell me probabilty of getting at least one ace, not exacctly one ace.

Let ##N## be the number of tosses you need to make to get your first ace. That follows a geometric distribution with "success" probability ##p = 1/21##:
$$P(N = n) = p (1-p)^{n-1}, n = 1,2, \ldots,$$
and
$$P(N > n) = (1-p)^n, n=0,1,2, \ldots .$$
In other words, probability of needing more than ##n## tosses to your first ace is ##(20/21)^n##, because the first ##n## tosses must all end in a non-ace.

Be careful If you Google "geometric distribution", because some sources (such as http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeometricDistribution.html ) give the "alternative" form, which is the number of tosses before your first ace. That is essentially ##N_b = N-1##, and has distribution ##P(N_b = n) = p (1-p)^n, n=0,1,2, \ldots##

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Let ##N## be the number of tosses you need to make to get your first ace. That follows a geometric distribution with "success" probability ##p = 1/21##:
$$P(N = n) = p (1-p)^{n-1}, n = 1,2, \ldots,$$
and
$$P(N > n) = (1-p)^n, n=0,1,2, \ldots .$$
In other words, probability of needing more than ##n## tosses to your first ace is ##(20/21)^n##, because the first ##n## tosses must all end in a non-ace.

Be careful If you Google "geometric distribution", because some sources (such as http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeometricDistribution.html ) give the "alternative" form, which is the number of tosses before your first ace. That is essentially ##N_b = N-1##, and has distribution ##P(N_b = n) = p (1-p)^n, n=0,1,2, \ldots##
Are you implying that @Pushoam 's response is incorrect somewhere, either in logic or result? It looks fine to me, and a bit simpler than thinking terms of throws until the first Ace.
And it produces the same answer, yes?

haruspex said:
Are you implying that @Pushoam 's response is incorrect somewhere, either in logic or result? It looks fine to me, and a bit simpler than thinking terms of throws until the first Ace.
And it produces the same answer, yes?

I'm not implying anything; I am just responding to his/her statement "But, this will tell me probabilty of getting at least one ace, not exactly one ace" in Post #3. The probability of getting at least one ace is exactly what is needed in this problem; the probability of getting exactly 1 ace in ##n## tosses will not answer the original question.

Ray Vickson said:
I'm not implying anything; I am just responding to his/her statement "But, this will tell me probabilty of getting at least one ace, not exactly one ace" in Post #3. The probability of getting at least one ace is exactly what is needed in this problem; the probability of getting exactly 1 ace in ##n## tosses will not answer the original question.
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for clarifying.

I am not getting the quote, reply, post a new thread button. What should I do now?
Please help me.
Pushoam

Pushoam said:
Thanks for clarifying.

I am not getting the quote, reply, post a new thread button. What should I do now?
Please help me.
Pushoam
Have you tried reloading the page?

haruspex said:
Have you tried reloading the page?
Yes, l did. It seems as if I have got banned.
How can I get to know whether it is temporary or permanent?
And why did it happen?
I want to use my account.
For how long will it remain banned?
Do they not inform before baning?
To whom should l request to get the permission?

Divyazen said:
Yes, l did. It seems as if I have got banned.
How can I get to know whether it is temporary or permanent?
And why did it happen?
I want to use my account.
For how long will it remain banned?
Do they not inform before baning?
To whom should l request to get the permission?
I explained it to you in my PM a couple yours ago today. Do not create alternate accounts to try to get around the 10-day temporary ban. You have accumulated too many infraction points for many problem posts, and that lead to the temporary ban. Thread is closed.

Related to Probability of getting an ace in case of a loaded die

1. What is a loaded die?

A loaded die is a type of gaming or gambling dice that is weighted in a way that makes certain numbers or outcomes more likely to occur than others. This can be done intentionally by manipulating the weight distribution of the die, or unintentionally due to flaws in the manufacturing process.

2. How does a loaded die affect the probability of getting an ace?

A loaded die can significantly alter the probability of getting an ace, as the weight distribution will make certain numbers more likely to land facing up. In the case of a loaded die, the probability of getting an ace may be higher or lower than the expected 1/6 chance, depending on how the weight is distributed.

3. Is it possible to calculate the exact probability of getting an ace with a loaded die?

It is difficult to calculate the exact probability of getting an ace with a loaded die, as it depends on the specific weight distribution and how it affects the rolling of the die. However, it is possible to estimate the probability based on the known weight distribution and the principles of probability.

4. Can a loaded die be used to cheat in games?

Yes, a loaded die can be used to cheat in games. By making certain outcomes more likely, a person using a loaded die can gain an unfair advantage in games of chance. This is why loaded dice are illegal in most gambling establishments.

5. How can a scientist study the probability of getting an ace with a loaded die?

A scientist can study the probability of getting an ace with a loaded die by conducting experiments and collecting data. They can also use mathematical models and calculations to estimate the probability. Additionally, studying the manufacturing process of the loaded die can provide insights into how the weight distribution affects the probability of getting an ace.