Probability to get a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, we have a scenario where $N$ Christmas presents will be distributed, each with a $50\%$ chance of containing either a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer. We define $X_i$ as independent and Bernoulli-distributed with $p=\frac{1}{2}$ representing the event of a chocolate reindeer in the $i$th present. We then calculate the probability $a_{10}$ that at least $60\%$ of the $10$ presents will contain a chocolate reindeer. Using Bernoulli's weak law of large numbers, we estimate $a_{100}$ and find that $a_{100}<a_{10}$. Finally, we determine the limit as $
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :giggle:

$N\in \mathbb{N}$ christmas presents will be distributed. In every gift there is additional either a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer. It will be independent of each other and with the same probability of giving out gifts with a chocolate snowman or chocolate reindeer. So let $X_1, \ldots , X_n$ be independent and Bernoulli-distributed with probability of success $p =\frac{1}{2}$. The event $\{X_j = 1\}$ means that in the $j$th present there is a chocolate reindeer. Let $a_n$ be the probability that at least 60% of the $n$ gifts distributed contains a chocolate reindeer.
(a) Calculate $a_{10}$ explicitly. Enter intermediate steps.
(b) Use the inequality $\displaystyle{P\left [\left |\frac{1}{n}\sum_{j=1}^nX_j-p\right |\geq \epsilon\right ]\leq \frac{1}{4n\epsilon^2}}$ from Bernoulli's weak law of large numbers, to estimate $a_{100}$. Does it hold $a_{100}<a_{10}$ ?
(c) Determine $\displaystyle{\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_n}$.For (a) we have that \begin{equation*}P(a_{10}\geq 0.6)\Leftrightarrow P\left(\sum\limits_{i=1}^{10} X_i\geq 0.6\cdot 10 \right)\Leftrightarrow P\left(\frac{1}{10}\cdot \sum\limits_{i=1}^{10} X_i\geq 0.6\right)\end{equation*}
Do we have to use the weak law of large numbers $P[|\overline{X}-\mu|\geq \epsilon]\leq \frac{\sigma^2}{n\epsilon^2}$ ?
The expected value of $X_i$ is $\mu=E[X_i]=p=\frac{1}{2}$ and the variance is $\sigma^2=\text{Var}(X_i)=p\cdot (1-p)=\frac{1}{4}$. So we get $$P[|\overline{X}-\mu|\geq \epsilon]\leq \frac{\sigma^2}{n\epsilon^2} \Rightarrow P\left [\left |\overline{X}-\frac{1}{2}\right |\geq \epsilon\right ]\leq \frac{\frac{1}{4}}{10\cdot \epsilon^2}\Rightarrow P\left [\overline{X}\geq \epsilon+\frac{1}{2}\right ]\leq \frac{\frac{1}{4}}{10\cdot \epsilon^2}$$ For $\epsilon=0.1$ we get $$P\left [\overline{X}\geq 0.6\right ]\leq \frac{\frac{1}{4}}{10\cdot 0.1^2} \Rightarrow P\left [\overline{X}\geq 0.6\right ]\leq 2.5$$
This cannot be correct, can it?

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari,

Great job rewriting the condition as $a_{10} = \text{Pr}\left(\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i}\geq 6\right).$ Your attempt to use Bernoulli's weak law of large numbers is also good. Note, though, that Bernoulli only gives an upper bound for $a_{n}$, so it will not allow us to calculate $a_{10}$ explicitly.

To proceed, expand your previous equation one step further to $$a_{10} = \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i}\geq 6\right) = \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i} = 6\right) + \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i} = 7\right) + \cdots + \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i} = 10\right).$$ To calculate each of the 5 terms on the right, consider using the Binomial Distribution, which calculates the probability of $k$ successes in a sequence of $n$ independent Bernoulli experiments.

Nice work so far. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Edit: Changed $\text{Pr}(a_{10}\geq0.6)$ to $a_{10}$ because $a_{n}$ is, by definition, the probability of at least 60% success in $n$ trials

Last edited:
GJA said:
Great job rewriting the condition as $a_{10} = \text{Pr}\left(\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i}\geq 6\right).$ Your attempt to use Bernoulli's weak law of large numbers is also good. Note, though, that Bernoulli only gives an upper bound for $a_{n}$, so it will not allow us to calculate $a_{10}$ explicitly.

To proceed, expand your previous equation one step further to $$a_{10} = \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i}\geq 6\right) = \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i} = 6\right) + \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i} = 7\right) + \cdots + \text{Pr}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{10}X_{i} = 10\right).$$ To calculate each of the 5 terms on the right, consider using the Binomial Distribution, which calculates the probability of $k$ successes in a sequence of $n$ independent Bernoulli experiments.

Nice work so far. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Edit: Changed $\text{Pr}(a_{10}\geq0.6)$ to $a_{10}$ because $a_{n}$ is, by definition, the probability of at least 60% success in $n$ trials

I got it! Now I am able to solve all the questions.. Thank you! (Sun)

1. What is the probability of getting a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer in a bag of assorted chocolates?

The probability of getting a specific chocolate shape in a bag of assorted chocolates depends on the number of chocolates in the bag and the number of each shape included. Without knowing these specifics, it is impossible to determine the exact probability. However, if the bag contains an equal number of chocolate snowmen and chocolate reindeer, the probability of getting either one would be 50% or 1 in 2.

2. Can the probability of getting a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer change?

Yes, the probability can change depending on the circumstances. For example, if the bag of assorted chocolates is changed to include more chocolate snowmen and fewer chocolate reindeer, the probability of getting a chocolate snowman would increase. Similarly, if someone has already taken a chocolate snowman from the bag, the probability of getting a chocolate reindeer would increase.

3. Is the probability the same for each individual chocolate in the bag?

No, the probability is not the same for each individual chocolate in the bag. Each chocolate has its own probability of being selected, which is influenced by the number of chocolates in the bag and the number of each shape included. For example, if there are 10 chocolates in the bag and 5 of them are chocolate snowmen, the probability of getting a chocolate snowman would be higher than the probability of getting a chocolate reindeer.

4. How can we calculate the probability of getting a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer?

To calculate the probability of getting a specific chocolate shape, we need to know the total number of chocolates in the bag and the number of each shape included. The probability can be calculated by dividing the number of chocolates of the desired shape by the total number of chocolates in the bag. For example, if there are 10 chocolates in the bag and 5 of them are chocolate snowmen, the probability of getting a chocolate snowman would be 5/10 or 50%.

5. Does the size or weight of the chocolate affect the probability of getting a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer?

No, the size or weight of the chocolate does not affect the probability of getting a specific chocolate shape. As long as the number of each shape is equal, the probability of getting a chocolate snowman or a chocolate reindeer would be the same regardless of their size or weight.