Probability of neutrino switching: more massive, more probable?

In summary, the article "The Darkest Particle" by Louis and Van de Water in Scientific American discusses the hypothetical sterile neutrino and its potential to switch between regular flavors over shorter distances. The justification for this is likely the Energy-time uncertainty relation, but further reading on neutrino oscillation is needed to fully understand the mass term. Neutrino expert Mark Thomson's lecture slides provide a good starting point for understanding this concept.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Hypothetical sterile neutrinos being more massive mean it is more probable for the other flavors to switch to them, and vice-versa? Justified by Energy-time uncertainty, or what?
In Scientific American, July 2020, the article "The Darkest Particle" by Louis and Van de Water, page 46, discussing the hypothetical sterile neutrino, there is the sentence: "Because sterile neutrinos are likely to be more massive than the regular flavors, however, particles could make the switch to this type more quickly and could likewise change back from sterile to one of the three regular flavors over shorter distances." My guess for the justification of this sentence is the Energy-time uncertainty relation, but I am unsure: perhaps I am being overly simplistic? All corrections welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
My guess for the justification of this sentence is the Energy-time uncertainty relation, but I am unsure: perhaps I am being overly simplistic?

No, just incorrect. The oscillation rate (not probability) depends on Δm2. (And before you ask "Why?" realize that you would be asking "please explain why the outcome of a calculation is what it is without reference to that calculation")

Likes nomadreid and vanhees71
Ah, thanks, Vanadium 50. That is, I was wrong because I was being simplistic, and of course not only will I not ask "why?" but even will not ask for the formula to which you refer, because it is obvious that I need to do some more reading on neutrino oscillation before I am ready to understand why the mass term is there. But you pointed me in a new direction, for which I am grateful.

I guess I can start with the Wiki explanation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino_oscillation#Propagation_and_interference
and follow up with
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.05781.pdf

nomadreid said:
Ah, thanks, Vanadium 50. That is, I was wrong because I was being simplistic, and of course not only will I not ask "why?" but even will not ask for the formula to which you refer, because it is obvious that I need to do some more reading on neutrino oscillation before I am ready to understand why the mass term is there. But you pointed me in a new direction, for which I am grateful.

I guess I can start with the Wiki explanation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino_oscillation#Propagation_and_interference
and follow up with
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.05781.pdf

Neutrino expert Mark Thomson has made available his excellent lecture slides for an introductory particle physics that he taught in 2011,
https://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~thomson/MPP/ModernParticlePhysics.html

His "11. Neutrino Oscillations" might be a good place to start.

He gives a simplified, but standard, treatment of neutrino oscillations. From his slides "The full derivation requires a wave-packet treatment and gives the same result"

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, nomadreid and PeroK
Thank you, George Jones. That is very helpful.

1. What is the probability of a neutrino switching based on its mass?

The probability of a neutrino switching is dependent on its mass. As the mass of a neutrino increases, the probability of it switching also increases. This is because the more massive a neutrino is, the more interactions it can have with other particles, increasing the chances of it switching.

2. How does the mass of a neutrino affect its probability of switching?

The mass of a neutrino directly affects its probability of switching. A more massive neutrino has a higher probability of switching compared to a less massive neutrino. This is due to the fact that a more massive neutrino has a larger cross-section for interactions, making it more likely to interact and switch.

3. Is there a specific threshold for neutrino mass that increases the probability of switching?

There is no specific threshold for neutrino mass that increases the probability of switching. However, as the mass of a neutrino increases, so does its probability of switching. This relationship is not linear, but rather follows a logarithmic pattern.

4. Can the probability of neutrino switching be calculated?

Yes, the probability of neutrino switching can be calculated using various mathematical models and equations. However, these calculations can be complex and depend on various factors such as neutrino mass, energy, and interactions with other particles.

5. How does the probability of neutrino switching affect our understanding of the universe?

The probability of neutrino switching is an important factor in understanding the behavior and interactions of neutrinos, which are one of the most abundant particles in the universe. Studying the probability of neutrino switching can provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the evolution of the universe.