Probability of Turning into a Bird

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a substitute teacher turning into a bird before the end of the school day. It is concluded that the probability is zero as there are no known ways for a human to transform into an animal. The conversation also mentions that the concept of probability may be difficult for some individuals.
mathdad
Substitute teacher, Baraba Rose, convinced a class of kindergarden kids that she would turn into a bird before the school day ends. What is the probability that this event will take place?

Solution:

Let P = probability

P(turning into bird) = 0

The answer is 0 because human beings cannot turn themselves into birds or any other animal.

Correct?

Can an equation be set up for this question?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, there are zero known ways for a human being to become a bird, so we can simply say the probability here is zero. The total number of outcomes is one, and that is she will have not changed species on or before the end of the day, so there is only 1 possible outcome, thus:

P(X) = 0/1 = 0

I can see that probability is not easy.

RTCNTC said:
I can see that probability is not easy.
It looks to me like a large part of your problem with probability is that you keep telling yourself this.

HallsofIvy said:
It looks to me like a large part of your problem with probability is that you keep telling yourself this.

When the time comes, I will dive into this area of math a little deeper.

If "the time" has not yet come, why are you posting so many questions like these?

1. Can humans actually turn into birds?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or proof that humans can physically transform into birds. While there have been some cases of individuals who have undergone bird-like physical changes through surgery or body modification, these are not true transformations and do not alter their genetic makeup.

2. Is the probability of turning into a bird higher for certain individuals?

The probability of turning into a bird is the same for all individuals, regardless of their gender, age, or any other factors. This probability is extremely low and has not been observed or proven to occur in any known cases.

3. Can genetic mutations or evolution cause a human to turn into a bird?

No, genetic mutations or evolution cannot cause a human to turn into a bird. While evolution can lead to changes in species over time, it does not result in instantaneous transformations. Additionally, the genetic makeup of humans and birds are significantly different, making it impossible for one to physically transform into the other.

4. Are there any known cases of humans turning into birds?

No, there are no documented cases of humans turning into birds. Any claims or stories of individuals transforming into birds are most likely fictional or based on misunderstandings of physical changes through surgery or body modification.

5. Is there any scientific research being done on the possibility of humans turning into birds?

No, there is currently no scientific research being conducted on the possibility of humans turning into birds. This is because there is no evidence or proof to suggest that this is a real phenomenon. Scientists prioritize research on topics that have a basis in reality and can be studied through empirical evidence.