Probability over universe = 0 or 1?

In summary: The many-worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics is the view that the universe is composed of numerous copies of itself, each with its own version of events. According to the MWI, the state of a quantum system (such as an electron in an atom) is not a definite point in space and time, but rather a distribution of probability over a vast range.This is a philosophical interpretation of quantum mechanics, and has little to do with reality.In summary, the statement "anything that can happen will happen" is not a law of nature.
nomadreid
Gold Member
If you were to extend Born's Rule to sum or integrate over all points in space-time, would you necessarily get only either zero or one? Otherwise put, is it true that "anything that can happen will happen"?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that something is possible does not make it inevitable ... unless you happen to believe there are a infinite number of actual physical Universes.
I don't think there are an infinite number of actual physical Universes.
So, IMO ... this is not true.

Sinc
rootone said:
The fact that something is possible does not make it inevitable ... unless you happen to believe there are a infinite number of actual physical Universes.
I don't think there are an infinite number of actual physical Universes.
So, IMO ... this is not true.
I agree.

I haven't read it, but I don't have any problem with the authors as being fairly good at pop-sci presentations.
I am guessing that the subtitle does not represent the content of the book that accurately , and is more of a catchphase inserted by the publishers as a selling point.

Think about it though.
It is certainly possible that an as yet unknown asteroid could strike Earth in 10,000 years time and cause a mass extinction.
It is more probable that this will not happen.

Either it does happen or it doesn't.
The only way to be sure for certain that this possibility does in fact occur is that there would be an infinite amount of actual Universes.
Not hypothetical mathematically possible Universes, but actually real physical ones.

I think Occam's razor can then be applied (although it's not a law), but it does suggest to me anyway, that a proposal which requires infinite copies of nearly identical physical universes is getting a bit excessive as an explanation for what we see around us.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded. The consensus is clear... Not many MWI proponents out there, apparently. Would the answer have been the same if I had restricted the question more -- say, to pure states?

nomadreid said:
Would the answer have been the same if I had restricted the question more -- say, to pure states?

Extend Born's rule to integrate or sum all points in space-time? Born's rule has nothing to do with integrating or summing all points in space time so what you mean by extending it has me beat.

Here is the statement of Born's Rule - Given an observable O there exists a positive operator of unit trace P, by definition called the state of the system, such that the expected outcome E(O) is Trace (PO).

Its a law of nature applying to all points of space time - nothing to do with integrating or summing over them.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks, Bill. Interesting that you are the first one to address the first sentence, rather than the second one, of my question.
Born's rule gives E(O) of the state at a single point in space-time. However, one can also ask what the probability is for the observable with respect to a given eigenvalue inside a given interval (that is, what is the probability that a given value will occur in that interval), and/or the expected value for that observable inside the interval. Granted, these would no longer Born's rule, but would be extensions of it. These calculations would involve a sum over the points in the interval.

nomadreid said:
However, one can also ask what the probability is for the observable with respect to a given eigenvalue inside a given interval (that is, what is the probability that a given value will occur in that interval),

If that what you are thinking of then no extension is required. One can in general find observables for that sort of thing. But that is external to the system - you are considering the universe which, by definition, has nothing external to it.

Thanks
Bill

Likes nomadreid
Hm... Very good point, Bill. Then, to modify (fudge) the question: for one of these observables is it the case that either
there exists a sequence of intervals Ii so that for all j, Ij⊂Ij+1 , and the corresponding sequence of probabilities (Piover Ii) converges to 1,
Or
All such sequences of probabilities for that observable are uniformly equal to zero (e.g., as in the case of a contradiction).

Or a similar formulation that would permit the consistent formulation -- whether or not one agrees with it, or whether or not it is the case--of those many worlds interpretations who claim that anything that is possible is also necessary.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, tzimie. Looks interesting; I have downloaded it and will be reading it soon.

Related to Probability over universe = 0 or 1?

1. What is the concept of "Probability over universe = 0 or 1"?

Probability over universe = 0 or 1 refers to the idea that the probability of an event occurring in the entire universe is either 0 or 1. In other words, the event is either impossible or certain to happen.

2. Why is the concept of "Probability over universe = 0 or 1" important in science?

This concept is important in science because it helps us understand the likelihood of events occurring in the universe. It can also help us make predictions and analyze data to determine the probability of certain outcomes.

3. How is the probability of an event over the universe determined?

The probability of an event over the universe is determined by considering all the possible outcomes and determining the likelihood of the event occurring in each of those outcomes. The sum of these probabilities should equal either 0 or 1.

4. Can the probability of an event over the universe ever be between 0 and 1?

No, the probability of an event over the universe can only be 0 or 1. This is because the universe is considered to be the entire set of all possible outcomes, and the probability of all possible outcomes must add up to 1.

5. How does the concept of "Probability over universe = 0 or 1" relate to the laws of physics?

This concept is closely related to the laws of physics as they are based on the principle of causality, which states that every event has a cause and effect. If the probability of an event over the universe is 0, it means that the event is impossible due to the laws of physics. If the probability is 1, it means that the event is certain to happen according to the laws of physics.