Probability - Poisson Probability

In summary, the Poisson probabilities can be estimated recursively using the formula p_{k}=(\lambda/k)*p_{k-1}, where p_{0} = e^{-\lambda}. This can also be expressed as f(k, λ) = (\lambda/k)*f(k-1, λ), where f(0, λ) = e^{-\lambda}. This can be used to find the value of P(X≤4) in the Poisson distribution.
dkotschessaa

Homework Statement

Show that the Poisson probabilities [itex] p_{0}p_{1},... [/itex]can be estimated recursively by [itex] p_{0} = e^{-\lambda} [/itex] and

[itex]
p_{k}=(\lambda/k)*p_{k-1} [/itex] k=1,2,...

Homework Equations

I know the Poisson distribution [itex] f(x, \lambda) = e^{-\lambda}\lambda^{x}/x! [/itex]

But I haven't the faintest idea what is even being asked for here. It was never covered in class, our book, or any of the books I've looked through.

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:

Homework Statement

Show that the Poisson probabilities [itex] p_{0}p_{1},... [/itex]can be estimated recursively by [itex] p_{0} = e^{-\lambda} [/itex] and

[itex]
p_{k}=(\lambda/k)*p_{k-1} [/itex] k=1,2,...

Homework Equations

I know the Poisson distribution [itex] f(x, \lambda) = e^{-\lambda}\lambda^{x}/x! [/itex]

But I haven't the faintest idea what is even being asked for here. It was never covered in class, our book, or any of the books I've looked through.

-Dave K

Hi dkotschessaa! :smile:

##p_k## is just another way to write ##f(k, λ)##.
What is ##f(0, λ)##?
Can you express ##f(k, λ)## in terms of ##f(k-1, λ)##?

Thank you, that was extremely helpful . I was also able to use this to get a value for P(X≤4) which was the next part of the question!

Regard,

Dave K

Related to Probability - Poisson Probability

What is Poisson probability?

Poisson probability is a mathematical concept that calculates the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a given time period, based on a known average rate of occurrence.

How is Poisson probability different from other types of probability?

Poisson probability is unique in that it focuses on the occurrence of discrete events within a specific time frame, rather than the probability of a continuous outcome. It also assumes that the events occur independently of one another and at a constant rate.

What is the formula for calculating Poisson probability?

The formula for Poisson probability is P(x) = (e^-λ * λ^x) / x!, where P(x) represents the probability of x events occurring, e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828, λ is the average rate of occurrence, and x is the number of events.

What is the significance of the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is important in statistics and probability because it is often used to model real-world phenomena, such as the number of customers arriving at a store or the number of accidents occurring on a highway. It also serves as the basis for other important statistical models.

How can Poisson probability be applied in practical situations?

Poisson probability can be used to make predictions and inform decision-making in a variety of fields, including finance, marketing, and operations management. For example, a company can use Poisson probability to estimate the number of customer complaints they may receive in a given week, or a city can use it to predict the number of traffic accidents that may occur on a particular day.