Probability Questions Help

In summary, the probability of drawing two jokers from a deck of 54 cards when drawing 5 cards is 5C2/54C2. The probability of two specific members sitting next to each other in a line of 7 is 2/7. The odds against winning a game with a 15% chance of winning are 17:3. And the number of possible communities of 6 students with 4 juniors from a group of 7 juniors and 10 seniors is (7C4)(10C2).
xChee
Need someone to check if my answers to these probability questions are right :$

Q1: Two jokers are added to a standard 52 card deck. The deck is then shuffled, what is the probability that someone draws 5 cards and two of those 5 cards happen to be both jokers.

is this what you do? 5C3 / 54C5 ?

Q2: 7 members of the swimming club line up for a picture. What is the probability that Marry and Jory will sit together?

is the answer, 12/7! ?

Q3: There is a 15% of winning a game, what are the odds against winning the game?

is the answer, 17:3?

Q4: From a group of 7 juniors and 10 seniors, determine how many communities of 6 students can be chosen if 4 are juniors?

is the answer, (7C4)(10C2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1: Two jokers are added to a standard 52 card deck. The deck is then shuffled, what is the probability that someone draws 5 cards and two of those 5 cards happen to be both jokers.

is this what you do? 5C3 / 54C5 ?

This one looks like a hypergeometric distribution where you have dependent events (i.e. drawing one joker affects the probability of drawing a second). Don't let the name scare you if you haven't heard of it, it's nothing that fancy :)

I think it should be
(2C2 *49C3) / (54C5)

Population (N) = 54
Total population successes (M) = 2
Sample (n) = 5
Total sample successes (m) = 2

The formula for getting this is basically the (combination of successes * combination of failures) / (total combinations).

Or (MCm)*([N-M]C[n-m])/ (NCn)
It's not as complicated as it looks, you'll notice some patterns in the terms, the first value is M, N-M, and N; the second values are m, n-m, n.
Eminem 'n' Eminem 'n'
Maybe the 'min' can remind you of the minus sign. Dunno =p

(2C2 *49C3) / (54C5)

I'd like to help you with the other questions too, but I have a stats exam tomorrow, this question just caught my eye because I was just going over the different distributions XD. Oh, and you've got number 3 right.

Q1. Think of the 54 cards as the positions that the 2 jokers may occupy. 5 of them are the drawn 5. There are 54C2 ways of positioning both jokers, of which 5C2 put them in the drawn 5. Answer: 5C2/54C2.

Q2. M equally likely occupies any of 7 positions. In 2 cases there is a 1/6 chance J will be adjacent. In the other 5 cases the odds are 2/6. Answer: (2/7)*(1/6)+(5/7)*(2/6) = 12/42 = 2/7.
Alternatively, there are 7C2 = 21 pairs of positions M and J can occupy, of which 6 consist of adjacent positions. 6/21 = 2/7.

Q3. & Q4 you have correct.

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the probability formula: P(A) = (number of desired outcomes) / (total number of possible outcomes).

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations.

What are independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events in which the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. Dependent events are events in which the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other.

How does compound probability work?

Compound probability is the probability of two or more events occurring together. It is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event. For example, if the probability of event A is 1/4 and the probability of event B is 1/3, the compound probability of both events occurring is (1/4) * (1/3) = 1/12.