Probability Syntax: Types 1, 2 & 3 Defects

• Thread starter SwaGGeReR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, a certain system can experience three different types of defects denoted by A[i] (i=1,2,3). The probabilities of these defects are P(A[1]) = .12, P(A[2]) = .07, and P(A[3]) = .05. The probabilities of the system having both type 1 and type 2 defects, both type 1 and type 3 defects, and both type 2 and type 3 defects are .13, .14, and .10, respectively. The probability of the system having all three types of defects is .01. 1. The probability that the system does not have a type one defect is .88.2. The probability
SwaGGeReR
A certain system can experience three different types of defects. Let A (i=1,2,3) denote the event that the system has a defect of type i. Suppose that

P(A[1]) =.12
P(A[2])=.07
P(A[3])=.05
P(A[1] union A[2])=.13
P(A[1] union A[3])=.14
P(A[2] union A[3])=.10
P(A[1] intersects A[2] intersects A[3])=.01

1.what is the prob that the system does not have a type one defect?

2.what is the prob that the system has both type 1 and type 2 defects?

3. What is the prob that the system has both type 1 and type 2 defects but not a type 3 defect?

4.What is the prob that the system has at most two of these defects?

I know #1 is .88 and #4 is .99, but I am having difficulty understanding #2 and #3.

For #2: What is the probability that the system has both type 1 and type 2 defects, could that also include a system with ALL the defects (type 1, type 2, AND type 3 defects)? If so, I calculate the probability to be .07:

==>P(A int B) + P(A int B int C)
==>.12 + .07 - .13 + .01
==>.07

If so, then then the probability of #3 is .06.

Let me know if this is right or wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
SwaGGeReR said:
For #2: What is the probability that the system has both type 1 and type 2 defects, could that also include a system with ALL the defects (type 1, type 2, AND type 3 defects)?
Yes. The event [itex] A_1 \cap A_2 [/itex] has the event [itex] A_1 \cap A_2 \cap A_3 [/itex] as a subset.

If so, I calculate the probability to be .07:

==>P(A int B) + P(A int B int C)
==>.12 + .07 - .13 + .01
==>.07

By what you said above, you don't have to add the probability of (A int B in C) to the probability of A int B. The probability of A int B already accounts for the probability of A int B int C.

Also, I don't know how you calculated P(A int B).

Use the equation [itex] P(A_1 \cup A_2) = P(A_1) + P(A_2) - P(A_1 \cap A_2) [/itex] and solve it for [itex] P(A_1 \cap A_2) [/itex].

Related to Probability Syntax: Types 1, 2 & 3 Defects

What is probability syntax?

Probability syntax is a statistical concept that refers to the rules and principles used to describe and calculate the likelihood or chance of a particular event occurring. It involves analyzing the different types of defects that can occur in a given system or process and determining the probability of each type of defect.

What are the three types of defects in probability syntax?

The three types of defects in probability syntax are type 1, type 2, and type 3 defects. Type 1 defects are those that occur due to random chance and cannot be predicted or controlled. Type 2 defects are caused by a specific factor or error in the system or process. Type 3 defects are a combination of type 1 and type 2 defects, where both random chance and specific factors contribute to the occurrence of the defect.

How are type 1 defects calculated?

Type 1 defects are calculated using the binomial distribution formula, which takes into account the number of trials and the probability of success in each trial. This formula is used to determine the probability of a certain number of defects occurring in a given number of trials.

How are type 2 defects identified?

Type 2 defects are identified through root cause analysis, which involves examining the system or process to identify the specific factor or error that is causing the defect. This can include analyzing data, conducting experiments, and using other problem-solving techniques to pinpoint the source of the defect.

How can type 3 defects be prevented?

Type 3 defects can be prevented by addressing both the random chance and specific factors that contribute to their occurrence. This can involve implementing quality control measures to reduce the likelihood of type 1 defects, as well as identifying and correcting any underlying issues that lead to type 2 defects. Regular monitoring and continuous improvement efforts can help prevent type 3 defects from occurring in the future.