Probability that a particular subject comes in my exam

In summary, the speaker has an upcoming exam with an oral section that consists of 5 subjects chosen from a list of 7 subjects. English Literature is always included, while History and Philosophy cannot both be included in the 5 subjects. The speaker is seeking advice on how to approach studying for the exam, as they are unsure of the probabilities for each subject. One suggestion is to study all subjects except for one of History or Philosophy, as they cannot both be on the exam.
Born2Perform
Hello,
I have an exam at july, in the oral part of it there are 5 subjects, that are choosen from a list of 7 subjects (Physics, History, Phylosophy, Art, Italian Lit., English Lit., Geology.)

Those 5 subjects are randomly picked up from a box (in which there are the 7 subjects), with 2 conditions:

- English Literature is not in the box, and always comes.
- Or comes History, or comes Phylosophy, they can't come both, but they'r both in the box. If one is extracted, and also the other is picked up, the second picked up doesn't count.

I need to know the probabilities for each in order to know which i should study less.
i know english probability to come is 1, but this thing of "or history or philo" stopped me, i can't solve it just thinking with dices and make tables,
any suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not study them all, apart from one of History or Philosophy (since if one of those is on the test, then the other will not be). That way you'll be able to answer all possible questions!

Last edited:

Hello, based on the information provided, it is not possible to accurately determine the probability of a particular subject coming in your exam. This is because the selection process is not completely random, as English Literature is guaranteed to be included and there are conditions regarding the selection of History and Philosophy. Without knowing the specific details of how these conditions are applied, it is not possible to calculate the probabilities. My suggestion would be to study all the subjects equally and focus on understanding the material rather than trying to predict which subjects will be chosen for the exam. Good luck on your exam!

Related to Probability that a particular subject comes in my exam

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if there are 3 favorable outcomes out of 10 possible outcomes, the probability would be 3/10 or 0.3.

3. Can probability predict the outcome of my exam?

No, probability cannot predict the outcome of a specific event. It can only give an estimate of the likelihood of an event occurring based on past data and assumptions.

4. How can I increase the probability of a particular subject coming in my exam?

The probability of a subject coming in your exam is determined by various factors such as the syllabus, previous exam patterns, and your own preparation. To increase the probability, you can focus on studying the topics that have a higher chance of being included in the exam based on these factors.

5. Can probability be used to cheat on exams?

No, using probability to cheat on exams would be unethical and ultimately ineffective. Probability only provides an estimation and cannot guarantee the outcome of a specific event. It is important to study and prepare for exams honestly and ethically.