Probability that A will win given a condition

In summary: An A win on row 4 is worth twice as much as on row 5 because it happens twice as often. As @DrClaude said, you...In summary, according to the chart given, A can win 6 times, but a fifth round must be included in the count if A has not won 3 points by the fourth round.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
A and B having equal skill, are playing a game of three points. After A has won 2 points and B has won 1 point, what is the probability that A will win the game?

Above is problem# 22.18 from Schaum's Outline of College Mathematics. It's an unsolved problem in the book with the answer given as ##\frac{3} {4}##
Relevant Equations
For an experiment that can have multiple outcomes, ##P(X) = \frac {n(X)} {n(S)}## where ##P(X)## is probability that event X will occur, ##n(X)## is number of ways in which event X can occur, ##n(S)## is total number of ways in which all possible events can occur
I tried to solve this problem using the chart given below. But I get a different answer of ##\frac {2}{3}## rather than ##\frac {3}{4}##. Maybe the answer given is incorrect?

I determine from the chart the number of ways in which A could win given that A has already won 2 of first 3 points; from the chart it clearly shows circled A's as these wins. The number of circled A's is 6.

Now I determine the total number of ways in which all possible events can occur given that A has already won 2 of first 3 points. From the chart, it is clearly 9.

$$\therefore P(X) = \frac {6} {9} =\frac{2} {3}$$

CamScanner 08-31-2022 12.07.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are counting the wrong way. A fifth round is only necessary in half of the cases !

##\ ##

Likes FactChecker and vcsharp2003
BvU said:
You are counting the wrong way. A fifth round is only necessary in half of the cases !

##\ ##
I have shown 5th round denoted by row 5 in my chart, only when A or B has not won 3 points till the 4th round. So, I don't get where exactly is the extra counting.

vcsharp2003 said:
I have shown 5th round denoted by row 5 in my chart, only when A or B has not won 3 points till the 4th round. So, I don't get where exactly is the extra counting.
You are not taking into account the probabilities. You are counting all event as equally probable, but the probability of A in round 4 is greater than the probability of A or B in round 5.

Likes vcsharp2003 and FactChecker
DrClaude said:
You are not taking into account the probabilities. You are counting all event as equally probable, but the probability of A in round 4 is greater than the probability of A or B in round 5.
The problem says that A and B have equal skills. Also each time they play a point, probability of A winning is 50% and the probability of B winning is 50%. Right? Each time A and B play for a point, it's like tossing a coin to get heads or tails (either A wins or B wins when they play for each point).

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
The problem says that A and B have equal skills. Also each time they play a point, probability of A winning is 50% and the probability of B winning is 50%. Right? Each time A and B play for a point, it's like tossing a coin to get heads or tails (either A wins or B wins when they play for each point).
Correct. With the given condition, A wins immediately half the time. A and B equally split the other half, so B only has 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 prob of winning, with A winning an additional 1/2*1/2=1/4 . In all, A wins 1/2+1/4=3/4 and B wins 1/4.

Likes vcsharp2003
FactChecker said:
Correct. With the given condition, A wins immediately half the time. A and B equally split the other half, so B only has 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 prob of winning, with A winning an additional 1/2*1/2=1/4 . In all, A wins 1/2+1/4=3/4 and B wins 1/4.
With the given condition, according to the chart A can win 6 times, B can win 3 times. Could you please let me know where my chart is wrong? A chart or tree diagram or a table are ways we can count all outcomes, and that's what I tried doing with the chart.

vcsharp2003 said:
With the given condition, according to the chart A can win 6 times, B can win 3 times. Could you please let me know where my chart is wrong? A chart or tree diagram or a table are ways we can count all outcomes, and that's what I tried doing with the chart.
Doing it with such a chart, you have to include the 5th round even in cases where A has already won
Code:
Round 4:  A    B    A    B    A    B
         / \  / \  / \  / \  / \  / \
Round 5: A B  A B  A B  A B  A B  A B

A wins:  * *  *    * *  *    * *  *
A wins 9 out of 12, so 3/4.

Likes vcsharp2003 and FactChecker
vcsharp2003 said:
An A win on row 4 is worth twice as much as on row 5 because it happens twice as often. As @DrClaude said, you have to pay attention to the probabilities. If you count the row-4 A's twice and row-5 A's &B's once, you get 9 A's out of 12.

Likes vcsharp2003
DrClaude said:
Doing it with such a chart, you have to include the 5th round even in cases where A has already won
I see. Could you please tell me why the 5th point has to be included even though the game is over by the 4th point? Once we have decided on the winner, then it seems there is no need to play another point.

FactChecker said:
An A win on row 4 is worth twice as much as on row 5 because it happens twice as often. As @DrClaude said, you have to pay attention to the probabilities. If you count the row-4 A's twice and row-5 A's &B's once, you get 9 A's out of 12.
Sorry, I don't get it. I thought we just need to count as per the chart, but you're saying to count A wins in 4th row twice. It doesn't make sense to me.

vcsharp2003 said:
I see. Could you please tell me why the 5th point has to be included even though the game is over by the 4th point? Once we have decided on the winner, then it seems there is no need to play another point.
I like his explanation. Pretend that they continued to a 5th point even if unnecessary. Then all the 5th point results are equally likely, but an A on row 4 means an A win even if it is followed by a B on row 5. Counting the total A wins gives 9 out of 12.

FactChecker said:
I like his explanation. Pretend that they continued to a 5th point even if unnecessary. Then all the 5th point results are equally likely, but an A on row 4 means an A win even if it is followed by a B on row 5. Counting the total A wins gives 9 out of 12.
I get that if we include the 5th point for all cases, then A wins 9 out of 12 times. But, still I don't get why the 5th point needs to be played for cases where game is already decided by the 4th point.

vcsharp2003 said:
I get that if we include the 5th point for all cases, then A wins 9 out of 12 times. But, still I don't get why the 5th point needs to be played for cases where game is already decided by the 4th point.
It gives you a set of equally likely results so you can just count up the A wins versus the total results. The row-5 results are not as likely as the row-4 results, so simply counting them is not correct. And it doesn't hurt anything to pretend that play always continued to the 5th row before the winner was announced.

Likes vcsharp2003
DrClaude said:
Code:
Round 4:  A    B    A    B    A    B
         / \  / \  / \  / \  / \  / \
Round 5: A B  A B  A B  A B  A B  A B

A wins:  * *  *    * *  *    * *  *
A wins 9 out of 12, so 3/4.
I think the 5th point needs to be included even if A has won by the 4th play since a tree diagram can only be used for counting if all paths are equally likely. I didn't know that a tree diagram needs to be showing equally likely paths when used in a probability problem.

Likes FactChecker
vcsharp2003 said:
I didn't know that a tree diagram needs to be showing equally likely paths when used in a probability problem.
Yes. If you are going to use simple counting to determine the probabilities then the things you count must have equal probabilities. That is true, not only for tree problems but for many other approaches.

Likes vcsharp2003

What is the meaning of "Probability that A will win given a condition"?

This phrase refers to the likelihood or chance that an event or outcome, represented by variable A, will occur given a certain condition or set of conditions.

How is the probability calculated in this scenario?

The probability in this scenario is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What factors influence the probability of A winning given a condition?

The probability of A winning given a condition can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the number of trials or events, the sample size, and the specific conditions or variables being considered.

Can the probability of A winning given a condition change over time?

Yes, the probability of A winning given a condition can change over time as new data or information is gathered and as conditions or variables change. It is important to regularly reassess and update probability calculations.

How can understanding probability help in decision making?

Understanding probability can help in decision making by providing a quantitative measure of the likelihood of different outcomes. This can help individuals and organizations make more informed and rational decisions based on the available data and information.