Probability that a Year with 53 Sundays is a Leap Year?

In summary, the conditional probability of having 53 Sundays in a year given that it is a leap year is (1/4-1/100+1/400), or approximately 0.249. This takes into account the fact that a leap year only occurs once every four years, with a slight correction for the fact that not all years divisible by 4 are leap years.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A year has 53 Sundays. What is the conditional probability that it is a leap year.

Homework Equations

None that I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried by knowing that a leap year has 366 days. Next we can note that the remaining 2 days could be sunday and monday, monday and tuesday, ... and saturday and sunday. Sunday appears 2 out of 7 times, so the answer I got was 2/7. Is that correct or did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the conditional part.
If A = 53 Sundays and B= Leap Year, you found p(A|B). You want p(B|A).
You still need to know the probability of 53 Sundays on a non-leap year.

To answer this you need to use knowledge of how often leap years occur. The questioner probably expects you to use 1/4, but strictly speaking it's (1/4-1/100+1/400).

Related to Probability that a Year with 53 Sundays is a Leap Year?

1. What is the probability that a year with 53 Sundays is a Leap Year?

The probability of a year with 53 Sundays being a Leap Year is approximately 4.167%. This means that out of every 24 years with 53 Sundays, only one will be a Leap Year.

2. How is the probability of a year with 53 Sundays being a Leap Year calculated?

The probability is calculated by dividing the number of possible years with 53 Sundays by the total number of possible years. There are 7 possible days for the 1st of January to fall on, and 53 Sundays in a year, therefore the probability is 7/365 = 1/52 = 0.01923 = 1.923%.

3. Why does a year with 53 Sundays have a higher probability of being a Leap Year?

This is because a Leap Year occurs every 4 years, which adds an extra day to the calendar. This extra day increases the chances of there being 53 Sundays in a year.

4. Is it possible for a year with 53 Sundays to not be a Leap Year?

Yes, it is possible for a year with 53 Sundays to not be a Leap Year. This can happen when the 1st of January falls on a Sunday in a non-Leap Year, and there are no other leap days in the year to make up for it.

5. How often do we see a year with 53 Sundays and is it a common occurrence?

A year with 53 Sundays occurs approximately every 6-7 years. It is not a very common occurrence, happening only about 14.6% of the time.