Problem about a group with two inner direct product representations

In summary, the problem shows that if $G$ is Abelian and has two representations as the internal direct product of subgroups, then the subgroups $K_1$ and $K_2$ are equal if one is a subset of the other. This proof can be simplified by using the uniqueness property of cartesian products.
stragequark
The problem: Suppose G is Abelian with two representations as the internal direct product of subgroups: G=HxK1, G=HxK2. Assume K1 is a subset of K2 and show K1=K2.
My attempted solution: I took the element (e_H, k_2), where e_H is the identity element of H and k_2 is an arbitrary element in K2, and multiplied it by an arbitrary element of HxK1 which I called (h,k_1) and I said the product (h, k_1*k_2) is an element of G=HxK1 and hence k_1*k_2 is an element of K1. Since K1 is closed under inverses I know that k_2 is an element of K1 since I can multiply k_1*k_2 by k_1 inverse. so K2 is a subset of K1.

Alternatively I thought that the order of G would be ord(H)ord(K1) and also ord(H)ord(K2), so ord(K1)=ord(K2). I am not given that these are finite, but may it still follow that if ord(K1)=ord(K2) and K1 is a subset of K2 that K1=K2?

I am suspicious of my proof because it doesn't use some of the problem's assumptions.
Your help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
stragequark said:
The problem: Suppose G is Abelian with two representations as the internal direct product of subgroups: G=HxK1, G=HxK2. Assume K1 is a subset of K2 and show K1=K2.
My attempted solution: I took the element (e_H, k_2), where e_H is the identity element of H and k_2 is an arbitrary element in K2, and multiplied it by an arbitrary element of HxK1 which I called (h,k_1) and I said the product (h, k_1*k_2) is an element of G=HxK1 and hence k_1*k_2 is an element of K1. Since K1 is closed under inverses I know that k_2 is an element of K1 since I can multiply k_1*k_2 by k_1 inverse. so K2 is a subset of K1.

Alternatively I thought that the order of G would be ord(H)ord(K1) and also ord(H)ord(K2), so ord(K1)=ord(K2). I am not given that these are finite, but may it still follow that if ord(K1)=ord(K2) and K1 is a subset of K2 that K1=K2?

I am suspicious of my proof because it doesn't use some of the problem's assumptions.
Your help is much appreciated.

Hi stragequark,

Your attempted proof is actually correct (you can just say at the end that since $K_2 \subset K_1$ as well, $K_1 = K_2$), but it may be simplified further. Again, since $K_1 \subset K_2$ it suffices to show $K_2 \subset K_1$. To this end, take an arbitrary $k_2\in K_1$. Then $(e_H, k_2) \in H \times K_2 = H \times K_1$, which implies $k_2 \in K_1$. Therefore $K_2 \subset K_1$.

Euge said:
Hi stragequark,

Your attempted proof is actually correct (you can just say at the end that since $K_2 \subset K_1$ as well, $K_1 = K_2$), but it may be simplified further. Again, since $K_1 \subset K_2$ it suffices to show $K_2 \subset K_1$. To this end, take an arbitrary $k_2\in K_1$. Then $(e_H, k_2) \in H \times K_2 = H \times K_1$, which implies $k_2 \in K_1$. Therefore $K_2 \subset K_1$.

Are you sure? This proof doesn't use any properties of subgroups or G being Abelian, which is why I'm worried.
I'm not too sure that the implication in
$(e_H, k_2) \in H \times K_2 = H \times K_1$, which implies $k_2 \in K_1$
is true.

stragequark said:
Are you sure? This proof doesn't use any properties of subgroups or G being Abelian, which is why I'm worried.
I'm not too sure that the implication in
$(e_H, k_2) \in H \times K_2 = H \times K_1$, which implies $k_2 \in K_1$
is true.

Most of the assumptions you're worried about concern the existence, not uniqueness, of an internal direct product representation for $G$. The uniqueness property follows from equality of cartesian products (of nonempty sets): $A \times B = C \times D$ if and only if $A = C$ and $B = D$. So in fact, the hypothesis $K_1 \subset K_2$ is redundant. For given $G = H \times K_1$ and $G = H\times K_2$, we have $H \times K_1 = H \times K_2$. Since $H$, $K_1$ and $K_2$ are nonempty (being subgroups of $G$), $K_1 = K_2$ by equality of cartesian products.

Your proof is correct and does not require the assumption that K1 and K2 are finite. The fact that G is Abelian and has two representations as the internal direct product of subgroups already implies that K1 and K2 must have the same order. This is because the order of G is equal to the product of the orders of its subgroups, and since G=HxK1 and G=HxK2, the orders of H and K1 must be equal, and the orders of H and K2 must be equal. Therefore, the orders of K1 and K2 must also be equal.

Your proof is also more general and does not rely on the assumption that K1 is a subset of K2. It works even if K1 and K2 are not subsets of each other, as long as they have the same order. This is because the product (h, k_1*k_2) is still an element of G=HxK1, and k_1*k_2 is still an element of K1, even if k_1 and k_2 are not in the same subgroup.

Overall, your proof is a good demonstration of the concept of direct product representations and how they can be used to show that two subgroups are equal. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the significance of having two inner direct product representations in a group?

The presence of two inner direct product representations in a group indicates that the group has two distinct subgroups that can be combined to form the entire group. This can be useful in understanding the structure and properties of the group.

2. How can we identify if a group has two inner direct product representations?

To determine if a group has two inner direct product representations, we need to check if the group can be expressed as a direct product of two subgroups and if these subgroups intersect trivially. If both conditions are satisfied, the group has two inner direct product representations.

3. Can a group have more than two inner direct product representations?

Yes, a group can have more than two inner direct product representations. However, the number of inner direct product representations is limited by the number of distinct subgroups that can be combined to form the entire group.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding groups with two inner direct product representations?

The study of groups with two inner direct product representations has applications in various fields such as cryptography, physics, and chemistry. In cryptography, understanding the structure of such groups can help in developing secure encryption algorithms. In physics, these groups can be used to describe symmetries in physical systems. In chemistry, they can be used to model molecular structures.

5. Are there any known techniques for solving problems involving groups with two inner direct product representations?

Yes, there are various techniques for solving problems related to groups with two inner direct product representations. These include the use of group theory, combinatorics, and algebraic techniques. Additionally, computer algorithms and software can also be used to analyze and solve such problems.