About Lie group product ([itex]U(1)\times U(1)[/itex] ex.)

In summary: I am asking because I don't know what you are talking about other than that you are dealing with a 2-dimensional vector space and some representation of ##U(1)## which is not uniquely determined by that.)In summary, Lie group products can be represented as direct sums of individual group representations, and this is true for both Abelian and non-Abelian groups. The representation of a group product is reducible if there exist invariant 1-dimensional subspaces under the group actions. The 2x2 representation of U(1) is not inherently reducible or irreducible, as it depends on how the representation is defined.
guest1234
I recently got confused about Lie group products.
Say, I have a group [itex]U(1)\times U(1)'[/itex]. Is this group reducible into two [itex]U(1)[/itex]'s, i.e. possible to resepent with a matrix [itex]\rho(U(1)\times U(1)')=\rho_{1}(U(1))\oplus\rho_{1}(U(1)')=e^{i\theta_{1}}\oplus e^{i\theta_{2}}=\begin{pmatrix}e^{i\theta_{1}} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{i\theta_{2}}\end{pmatrix}[/itex]? Can I say it's reducible, right? Because the way I see it, if the transformation is applied to a 2-dimensional vector, then the first (second) element is transformed by the first (second) [itex]U(1)[/itex] ([itex]U(1)'[/itex]), thus leaving us two invariant 1-dimensional subspaces under the group actions.

Is it always possible to represent a group product as the direct sum of individual group representations? Or is it just an Abelian case? (IMHO, it seems so because the transformation [itex]SU(2)\times U(1)[/itex] on leptons isn't a [itex]3\times3[/itex] block-diagonal matrix (as one would expect, because fundamental rep. dimensions are 2+1 = 3) but a [itex]2\times 2[/itex] matrix).

Thanks a lot

edit: bonus question -- is [itex]2\times2[/itex] rep. of [itex]U(1)[/itex], [itex]\begin{pmatrix}e^{i\theta} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{i\theta}\end{pmatrix}[/itex] a reducible or irreducible representation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
guest1234 said:
I recently got confused about Lie group products.
Say, I have a group [itex]U(1)\times U(1)'[/itex]. Is this group reducible into two [itex]U(1)[/itex]'s, i.e. possible to resepent with a matrix [itex]\rho(U(1)\times U(1)')=\rho_{1}(U(1))\oplus\rho_{1}(U(1)')=e^{i\theta_{1}}\oplus e^{i\theta_{2}}=\begin{pmatrix}e^{i\theta_{1}} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{i\theta_{2}}\end{pmatrix}[/itex]?
You mix up terms here. We don't say a group is reducible in this context. You are talking about direct products of groups.
Groups without proper normal subgroups are called simple, the others are simply not simple. Direct products cannot be simple because their factors are normal subgroups.

What can be reducible are representations ##φ## of groups. A representation is a homomorphism of a group ##G## into the linear group ##GL(V)## of a vector space ##V##. ##φ## is called irreducible if there are no subspaces ##U⊆V## for which ##φ(G)(U) ⊆ U## holds beside ##U=\{0\}## and ##U=V##. Other representations are called reducible, i.e. there is a ##0 ⊂ U ⊂ V## with ##φ(G)(U) ⊆ U##.

The confusion probably comes from the fact that the gauge groups you mentioned are themselves defined as subgroups of a general linear group in which case a representation comes in for free with its embedding. Your representation ##ρ## is correct. You may represent ##U(1) \times U(1)## in this way. (Just do me a favor and drop the ' on the second ##U(1)##. It's not a different one, but simply a second one.)

Can I say it's reducible, right? Because the way I see it, if the transformation is applied to a 2-dimensional vector, then the first (second) element is transformed by the first (second) [itex]U(1)[/itex] ([itex]U(1)'[/itex]), thus leaving us two invariant 1-dimensional subspaces under the group actions.
Yes, ##ρ## is a reducible representation of ##U(1) \times U(1)## for the reason you said. Only your wording is a bit unfortunate.
Formally I would say: ##ρ(U(1) \times U(1)) (\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}) ⊆ ℂ \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} ## (and likewise for ##\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}##) determine one dimensional invariant subspaces of ##ℂ^2## thus showing that ##ρ## is reducible.

Is it always possible to represent a (Edit: direct) group product as the direct sum of individual group representations?
Yes. Two representations (not necessarily the same) of each one of the (normal) subgroups of a (direct) product of groups can be arranged via block matrices to a single representation of the whole group.

Or is it just an Abelian case? (IMHO, it seems so because the transformation [itex]SU(2)\times U(1)[/itex] on leptons isn't a [itex]3\times3[/itex] block-diagonal matrix (as one would expect, because fundamental rep. dimensions are 2+1 = 3) but a [itex]2\times 2[/itex] matrix).

Thanks a lot
No. it's not about Abelian, it's about the direct product where both factors are normal subgroups. Things change a bit for semidirect products.

edit: bonus question -- is [itex]2\times2[/itex] rep. of [itex]U(1)[/itex], [itex]\begin{pmatrix}e^{i\theta} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{i\theta}\end{pmatrix}[/itex] a reducible or irreducible representation?
Define your representation before I can answer this! There is no natural way to do so.
Edit: ... as long as you don't explicitly identify ##U(1)## with certain elements of ##ℂ##. In either case you should establish the homomorphism.

Last edited:

1. What is a Lie group product?

A Lie group product is a mathematical structure that combines two or more Lie groups, which are mathematical groups that have both a continuous and smooth structure. The product of two Lie groups is also a Lie group, with the group operation defined as the product of the individual group elements.

2. What is the Lie group product for [itex]U(1)\times U(1)[/itex]?

The Lie group product for [itex]U(1)\times U(1)[/itex] is the product of two copies of the unit circle, which is a group that represents rotations in two dimensions. Each copy of the unit circle corresponds to one of the [itex]U(1)[/itex] factors in the product, and the group operation is defined as the product of the individual rotations.

3. What are the properties of the Lie group product?

The Lie group product has several important properties, including associativity, closure, and the existence of an identity element and inverse elements. It also has a smooth manifold structure, meaning that it can be described by a set of smooth coordinates.

4. How is the Lie group product used in physics?

Lie group products are frequently used in physics to describe symmetries and transformations. In particular, the [itex]U(1)\times U(1)[/itex] Lie group product is often used to describe electromagnetic interactions, where one [itex]U(1)[/itex] factor represents rotations in space and the other represents phase transformations.

5. Are there other examples of Lie group products?

Yes, there are many other examples of Lie group products, including [itex]SU(2)\times SU(2)[/itex] for describing the weak nuclear force and [itex]SU(3)\times SU(3)[/itex] for describing the strong nuclear force. Lie group products are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and topology.