Problem about identical particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the state of a system of two electrons constrained to move in one dimension and interacting through a specific potential. The total spin of the system is known to be 1, and the objective is to determine the state of the system. The conversation explores the concept of symmetry and antisymmetry in relation to the wave function and the Pauli principle. The solution of the problem involves finding the wave function and determining its constants, and also involves the use of spin states. The exact text of the problem is not provided, but the information given is sufficient to solve it.
Lebnm
Thread moved from a technical forum, hence missing template
Can someone help me with this excercise?: Consider two electrons constrained to move in one dimension. They interact through the potential
$$
V(x) = \begin{cases}
0, & \text{ if } |x| > a \\
-V_{0}, & \text{ if } |x| \leq a
\end{cases}
$$
where ##x## is the relative coordinate. The total spin is ##S = 1##, and the objective is to determine the state of the system.
I know I can write the state as ##|\Psi \rangle = |P \rangle \otimes |\psi \rangle \otimes |SM \rangle##, where ##|P \rangle## is an eigenstate of the momentum of CM, and the wave function ##\psi (x) = \langle x | \psi \rangle ## is the solution of $$-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2\mu}\frac{\mathrm{d^{2}}\psi }{\mathrm{d} x^{2}} + V(x)\psi(x) = E \psi(x).$$ Now, I know that the states ##|P \rangle## and ##|SM \rangle ## with ##S=1## are symmetric over permutation of the electrons, but I don't know how to determine if ##|\psi \rangle## is either symmetric or antisymmetric. In this case, the permutation of the electrons change ##x \rightarrow -x##, so it has the same effect of parity. The hamiltnian above is obviously invariant over parity, and there is a theorem that says ##|\psi \rangle## is an eigenstate of parity (suposing that the spectrum of the hamiltonian is non-degenerated), so it have to be symmetic or antisymmetic. Do I need to determine the wave function ##\psi(x)## to it? I tried to do this, but I get four constants that I can't determine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lebnm said:
Now, I know that the states ##|P \rangle## and ##|SM \rangle ## with ##S=1## are symmetric over permutation of the electrons, but I don't know how to determine if ##|\psi \rangle## is either symmetric or antisymmetric.
What does the Pauli principle tell you?

Likes Lebnm
Ok, I understood. The total state have to be antisymmetric, so ##| \psi \rangle ## is antisymmetric, since ##|P\rangle## and ##|S,M\rangle## are symmetric. Solving the problem for ##\psi(x)##, I find

$$
\psi(x) =
\begin{cases}
Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}, & \text{ if } |x| > a \\
Ce^{ilx} + De^{-ilx}, & \text{ if } |x| \leq a
\end{cases}
$$

where ##k = \sqrt{2\mu E}/\hbar##, ##l = \sqrt{2\mu(E+V_{0})}/\hbar## and ##E = E_{TOT} - E_{CM}##. Imposing that ##\psi(-x) = - \psi(x)##, we have ##A = -B## and ##C = - D##, so

$$
\psi(x) =
\begin{cases}
Asin(kx), & \text{ if } |x| > a \\
Csin(lx), & \text{ if } |x| \leq a
\end{cases}
$$

But ##\psi## also need to be continuous, what implies that ##C = A sin(ka)/sin(la)##, and ##A## have to be chosen such that ##\langle \Psi | \Psi \rangle = 1##. The orbital part of the wave function will be

$$
\Psi(x, X) \propto e^{iPX/\hbar}
\begin{cases}
sin(kx), & \text{ if } |x| > a \\
\frac{sin(ka)}{sin(la)}sin(lx), & \text{ if } |x| \leq a
\end{cases}
$$

where ##X## is the coordinate of C.M. Now I have to multiply this by the spin state. But I have three of them: ##|1,1 \rangle##, ##|1,0 \rangle## and ##|1,-1 \rangle##. Do I need to take a linear combination of them? In this case, my wave function would depend of three constants, is it correct?

Can you post the full text of the problem?

Actually, this is a problem that I saw in the internet and I don't remember the exact text. But the potential is that ##V## above and the total spin is ##S = 1##. Is this enough to find the soluction?

Lebnm said:
Actually, this is a problem that I saw in the internet and I don't remember the exact text. But the potential is that ##V## above and the total spin is ##S = 1##. Is this enough to find the soluction?
No, far from it. At best, this is an exercise to understand the constraints on the spatial wave function.

1. What are identical particles?

Identical particles are particles that have the same intrinsic properties such as mass, charge, and spin. These particles cannot be distinguished from one another by any physical means.

2. Why is it important to study identical particles?

Studying identical particles is important because many fundamental particles in the universe, such as electrons and protons, are identical. Understanding their behavior and interactions is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

3. What is the difference between identical particles and indistinguishable particles?

Identical particles and indistinguishable particles are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Identical particles have the same intrinsic properties, while indistinguishable particles have the same physical properties but may have different intrinsic properties.

4. How do identical particles behave differently from distinguishable particles?

Identical particles follow different statistical rules compared to distinguishable particles. For example, identical particles must obey the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that two identical particles cannot occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

5. What are some applications of identical particles in science and technology?

Identical particles have various applications in fields such as quantum computing, where the entanglement of identical particles can be used for information processing. They are also crucial in developing new materials and understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic level.