Problem in evaluating the absolute error

In summary, the man's mass is 80.00±1.01 kg, and the mass of the box is 20.00±0.01 kg. The sum of their masses is 100.00±1.02 kg.
patric44
Homework Statement
an empty large box of mass (20+-0.01)kg , when a man sits inside the box , the mass of the box and the man together become (0.1+-0.001) ton, find the mass of the man.
Relevant Equations
m=m+-Δm
hi guys
i came across this simple question about evaluating the absolute error, the solution is very simple as following :
$$
m_{man} = M_{b+m}\pm\Delta\;M_{b+m}-M_{b}\pm\Delta\;M_{b}
$$
so the mass of the man alone is
$$
m_{man} = (M_{b+m}-M_{b})\pm(\Delta\;M_{b+m}+\Delta\;M_{b})
$$
which would equal
$$
80\pm1.01
$$
but the argument is if i tried to calculate this the other way around assuming that the mass of the man is $80\pm0.99$ every thing will hold, as
$$
m_{b+m} = (M_{m}+M_{b})\pm(\Delta\;M_{m}+\Delta\;M_{b})=100\pm1\;kg
$$
why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
patric44 said:
Homework Statement:: an empty large box of mass (20+-0.01)kg , when a man sits inside the box , the mass of the box and the man together become (0.1+-0.001) ton, find the mass of the man.
Relevant Equations:: m=m+-Δm
$80\pm0.99$ every thing will hold, as
$$
m_{b+m} = (M_{m}+M_{b})\pm(\Delta\;M_{m}+\Delta\;M_{b})=100\pm1\;kg
$$
why is that?
I guess ‘80\pm 0.99’ should be ##80\pm 0.99##.

You appear to have calculated ‘0.99’ by subtracting 0.01 from 1. But, when calculating the uncertainty of a sum or difference, you should always add the uncertainty values.

For example: x=10±1 and y=5±1, so x-y = 5±2.
But if you are given, with no prior knowledge, that x-y = 5±2 and y=5±1 then
x = (x-y) +y = 10±3 (not x = 10±1)

Some other points which might help:

1. A value should be specified to the same precision as its uncertainty.
E.g. (20±0.01) should be written as 20.00±0.01

2. The uncertainty of 0.01kg is very small compared to the uncertainty 1kg. And each uncertainty is specified to only 1 significant figure. The value of an uncertainty is itself an uncertain. So it doesn’t make much sense to say the combined uncertainty as 1.01kg – the combined uncertainty should be rounded to 1kg.

(Uncertainty values are typically only known to 1 or 2 significant figures. If you were told that the two uncertainties were 0.01kg and 1.00kg, then you would be justified in taking their sum as 1.01kg.)

• Informative
Likes patric44
Steve4Physics said:
I guess ‘80\pm 0.99’ should be ##80\pm 0.99##.

You appear to have calculated ‘0.99’ by subtracting 0.01 from 1. But, when calculating the uncertainty of a sum or difference, you should always add the uncertainty values.

For example: x=10±1 and y=5±1, so x-y = 5±2.
But if you are given, with no prior knowledge, that x-y = 5±2 and y=5±1 then
x = (x-y) +y = 10±3 (not x = 10±1)

Some other points which might help:

1. A value should be specified to the same precision as its uncertainty.
E.g. (20±0.01) should be written as 20.00±0.01

2. The uncertainty of 0.01kg is very small compared to the uncertainty 1kg. And each uncertainty is specified to only 1 significant figure. The value of an uncertainty is itself an uncertain. So it doesn’t make much sense to say the combined uncertainty as 1.01kg – the combined uncertainty should be rounded to 1kg.

(Uncertainty values are typically only known to 1 or 2 significant figures. If you were told that the two uncertainties were 0.01kg and 1.00kg, then you would be justified in taking their sum as 1.01kg.)

thanks its clear now , but i have another question:
assuming that i started by the answer given for the mass of the man, m= 80.00±1.01 kg (neglecting the fact that the book had written dm as 1.01 not 1), and i already have the mass of the box as 20.00±0.01, the sum of their masses = 100.00±1.02 kg , doesn't equal the value that was given .
as if this calculation only work once and not the other way around!

patric44 said:
assuming that i started by the answer given for the mass of the man, m= 80.00±1.01 kg (neglecting the fact that the book had written dm as 1.01 not 1), and i already have the mass of the box as 20.00±0.01, the sum of their masses = 100.00±1.02 kg , doesn't equal the value that was given .
as if this calculation only work once and not the other way around!
I think you are asking “why can’t you ‘reverse’ the process of combining uncertainties in order to recover the starting values?”.

For ‘reversal’, addition operations (on the magnitudes of uncertainties) would need to become subtraction operations. But it is meaningless to perform subtraction operations on the magnitudes of uncertainties

For example if two uncertainties happened to be equal (say both are ± 3) then subtracting the magnitude of one from the magnitude of the other would lead to zero uncertainty – which would not make sense.

You may need to work through the example I gave in post #2.

• Informative
Likes patric44
thank you so much, all clear now

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is absolute error and why is it important to evaluate?

Absolute error is a measure of the difference between the actual value and the estimated or calculated value of a quantity. It is important to evaluate because it helps us understand the accuracy and reliability of our measurements and calculations. By knowing the absolute error, we can determine the margin of error in our results and make adjustments to improve the accuracy of our data.

2. How is absolute error different from relative error?

Absolute error is the actual difference between the measured value and the true value, while relative error is the ratio of the absolute error to the true value. In other words, absolute error gives us the magnitude of the difference, while relative error gives us the percentage of the difference relative to the true value. Absolute error is typically used when the true value is known, while relative error is used when the true value is not known.

3. What factors can contribute to a high absolute error?

There are a few factors that can contribute to a high absolute error, including limitations of the measuring instrument, human error in taking measurements, and errors in calculations or data entry. Additionally, if the true value of the quantity being measured is very small, even a small error in measurement can result in a high absolute error.

4. How can we reduce absolute error in our measurements?

To reduce absolute error, we can use more precise measuring instruments with smaller margins of error, take multiple measurements and calculate the average, and be careful and consistent in our measurements. We can also use error propagation techniques to account for errors in calculations and data entry.

5. Can absolute error ever be completely eliminated?

No, absolute error can never be completely eliminated. This is because there will always be some level of uncertainty or variability in our measurements and calculations. However, we can strive to minimize absolute error and increase the accuracy of our results through careful and precise measurement techniques and error analysis.