Problem interpreting course notes - 3D wave equation

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student's confusion with a particular section in their notes on the 3D wave equation and spherical symmetry. The lecturer introduced the angle bits for the same reason as the radius bit - to use spherical-polar coordinates. The student was struggling with the form of the wave equation in polar coordinates and the incorporation of the 1/r term in the Laplace operator. They eventually received help and understanding on the topic.
Darren93
I've been stuck trying to figure out what's going on in a particular section of my notes for the last couple days. The biggest issue is the lecturer has just not explained where the example has come from and what it represents. I thought I would post the relevant section here and see if anyone could recognise it immediately. He just introduced the 3D wave equation which I understood but then stated the case of spherical symmetry without any explanation. I was wondering why he defined Ψ in the manor he did and had no clue why he involved an angular section. Does anybody know what's going on? The note section is attached

Attachments

• Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,732
Physics news on Phys.org
Your lecturer expected you would know what "spherical symmetry" means.
Start with that - how would you write a sine wave that propagates outwards in all directions from a point?

The lecturer introduced the angle bits for the same reason the radius bit was introduced: because it is more convenient to use spherical-polar coordinates. You should have met these already. The notes have misleadingly placed the bit with the angles off to one side - it belongs on the RHS of the first line (before the equals sign) and it is the rest of what ##\nabla^2## looks like in spherical coordinates.

If the wave travels equally in all directions, then does it vary with angle?

Thanks for the reply. I understand that he has swapped to spherical coordinates and placed a spherical symmetric condition on the equation, I just have no idea how he got the result. What is the form of the wave equation in polar coordinates anyway. Plus where did the 1/r section on Ψ come from?

This is my thinking so far if Ψ=f(r)/r

then d2Ψ/dr2 =2r-3f(r) -2r-2f'(r) +r-1f''(r)

You could then substitute in dΨ/dr values but I have a - sign on the f'(r) function and can't quite do that. If it was positive it would leave me with 2/r * dΨ/dr +1/r *f''(r) which is somewhat close to the answer but completely wrong. I probably don't need to know the intermediate steps but Its something I've spent so much time on now that I'm not really wanting to move on.

You already have the wave equation in terms of the Laplace operator and a time derivative - so just substitute the spherical coordinate form of the Laplace operator in and you have the wave equation in spherical coordinates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_operator#Three_dimensions
... the 1/r thing is part of the Laplace operator.

Thanks very much, I was trying to solve for the Laplace operator on my own and just making a mess. Seeing it written out like that makes a great deal of sense and I understand now why the solution is what it is. I'm not certain as to how the 1/r gets incorporated into the Ψ expression but at this point it's no major concern. Thanks very much you helped me quite a bit.

There is a 1/r term in the laplacian - but the solution to the wave equation for spherical waves must reduce amplitude with increasing radius in order to conserve energy.

How would you write solutions for waves in a spherical cavity? You could use x, y, z coordinates, but the answers would be messy as hell.

Related to Problem interpreting course notes - 3D wave equation

What is the 3D wave equation?

The 3D wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of waves in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the propagation of electromagnetic, acoustic, and seismic waves.

How is the 3D wave equation different from the 2D wave equation?

The 3D wave equation is an extension of the 2D wave equation, which only describes waves in two dimensions. The 3D equation takes into account the additional dimension of depth, allowing for a more accurate representation of wave behavior in three-dimensional space.

What is the importance of understanding the 3D wave equation in science?

The 3D wave equation is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and geology, where the behavior of waves is a key aspect of understanding natural phenomena. It allows scientists to accurately model and predict the behavior of waves in three-dimensional space, which is essential for many real-world applications.

How can I apply the 3D wave equation in my research?

The 3D wave equation can be applied in a variety of research areas, such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and seismology. It can be used to study wave propagation in different materials and environments, as well as to design and optimize devices that utilize waves, such as antennas and sonar systems.

Are there any limitations to the 3D wave equation?

Like any mathematical model, the 3D wave equation has its limitations. It assumes that the medium in which the waves propagate is homogeneous and isotropic, and that the waves are linear and do not interact with each other. In reality, these conditions may not always hold, and the 3D wave equation may not accurately predict wave behavior in all situations.