Problem involving an adiabatic process

In summary, in this textbook, Huang, Kerson - 1987 - Statistical Mechanics 2Ed (Wiley)(T)(506S).pdf page 20, dU = U_V dT + U_T dV, dQ = dU + p dV, and dS = dQ/T. dS = c_v/T dT + 1/T (U_T +p) dV and ds is exact differential. d/dV ( c_v / T) = d/dT ((1/T)(U_T +p)))
Another
Homework Statement
adiabatic process equation derivation
Relevant Equations
dU = U_V dT + U_T dV ; U_V is derivative U by T (volume constant) and U_T is derivative U by V (temperature constant)
dQ = dU + p dV
termo stat 01.png

in this textbook : http://www.fulviofrisone.com/attach...tatistical Mechanics 2Ed (Wiley)(T)(506S).pdf ;page 20

I don't understand about Eq 1.11 come to 1.12 ? I know

dU = U_V dT + U_T dV

dQ = dU + p dV

put dU into dQ. So dQ = U_V dT + (U_T +p) dV

and i know that c_v = U_V = dU/dT when volume constant. So

dQ = c_v dT + (U_T +p) dV

and dS = dQ/T .

dS = c_v/T dT + 1/T (U_T +p) dV and ds is exact differential

d/dV ( c_v / T) = d/dT ((1/T)(U_T +p)))

i think derivative of c_v/ T by dV when T (Temperature constant) Equal to 0 . but I not sure

I need someone to explain to me. why Eq 1.11 come to Eq 1.12

Physics news on Phys.org
Here ##U = U(T,V)## and ##P = P(T,V)##. Write:$$\begin{align*}\left( \frac{\partial }{\partial V} \right)_{T} \frac{C_v}{T} &= \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial T} \right)_{V} \left[ \frac{1}{T} \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_{T} + \frac{P}{T} \right] \\ \\

\left( \frac{\partial }{\partial V} \right)_{T} \left[ \frac{1}{T} \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_{V} \right]&=

-\frac{1}{T^2} \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_{T} + \frac{1}{T} \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial T} \right)_{V} \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_{T} + \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial T} \right)_{V} \frac{P}{T}\end{align*}$$where we used the commutativity of mixed partial derivatives. Rearrange:$$\frac{1}{T^2} \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_{T}= \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial T} \right)_{V} \frac{P}{T} = - \frac{P}{T^2} + \frac{1}{T} \left( \frac{\partial P}{\partial T} \right)_{V}$$Simplify:$$\left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \right)_{T} = -P + T \left( \frac{\partial P}{\partial T} \right)_{V}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Another

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat or matter between a system and its surroundings. This means that the system is isolated and there is no exchange of energy in the form of heat or work.

2. What are the characteristics of an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is characterized by a change in temperature and volume of a system without any heat transfer. This means that the internal energy of the system remains constant, and the work done on or by the system is equal to the change in its internal energy.

3. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some examples of adiabatic processes include the compression or expansion of a gas in a cylinder without any heat transfer, the movement of a piston in an insulated cylinder, and the free expansion of a gas into a vacuum.

4. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied to adiabatic processes?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer, so the change in internal energy of the system is equal to the work done on or by the system.

5. What is the equation for calculating the work done in an adiabatic process?

The equation for calculating the work done in an adiabatic process is W = -PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the system. This equation can also be written as W = nCvΔT, where n is the number of moles of gas, Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature.