Problem involving hookes law and friction

In summary, the conversation discusses an energy problem and the equations related to energy. The methods for finding velocity at different points and distance traveled with friction are also explained. Using energy equations and solving for different variables can help solve the problem.
guitarist2400
This is a question my professor asked in class and I did not understand his explanation at all, I found your forums hoping someone would break it all down for me

[PLAIN]http://i28.lulzimg.com/0cb917f809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you already know the answer, and you just need the methods explained more?This problems seems to be an energy problem.

The equations regarding energy are
Es = kx2/2
Ek = mv2/2
Eg = mgh
Also, the concept that E = fd is helpful.To find velocity at the top, the only energy transfer occurring is from spring energy to kinetic energy.
If you set the equations for those two equal you can solve for v.

Velocity at the bottom is almost the same process.
The transfer of energy is from the velocity at the top and from gravity to velocity at the bottom (you can also set spring energy and gravity energy equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom).
Setting Eki (or Es) + Eg = Ekf will allow you to solve for vf.

Distance the object travels with friction can be used with kinematic equations, if you solve for acceleration.
I find its easier to use energy, since you already will have solved for energy at the bottom (Ekf).
Since the friction will dissipate all of that kinetic energy before the object stops, you can use the E = fd with E being Ekf and F being uFn.

Related to Problem involving hookes law and friction

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is proportional to that distance.

How is Hooke's Law used in real-life situations?

Hooke's Law is used in many real-life situations, such as in the design of springs for mattresses, car suspensions, and trampolines. It is also used in the construction of buildings and bridges to determine the maximum load they can withstand.

What factors affect the accuracy of Hooke's Law?

The accuracy of Hooke's Law can be affected by factors such as temperature, material properties, and the condition of the spring. If any of these factors change, the relationship between force and distance may not be linear, and Hooke's Law may not apply.

What is the relationship between Hooke's Law and friction?

Hooke's Law does not directly involve friction, but friction can affect the accuracy of the results when using Hooke's Law. Friction can cause the spring to stick or slip, leading to incorrect measurements of force and distance.

How can Hooke's Law be applied to solve real-world problems?

Hooke's Law can be applied to solve real-world problems by using it to calculate the force needed to stretch or compress a spring to a certain distance. This can be useful in designing and testing various objects and structures, as well as in understanding the behavior of materials under different conditions.