Problem involving Torque and a Derrick from Feynman Exercises

In summary, the conversation discussed the attempt to solve a problem involving the torque caused by tension and weight on a derrick. The principle of virtual work was also used to arrive at the same answer. The questioner was unsure about the presence of an additional term in the listed answer and sought clarification.
suh112
Homework Statement
2.17 A derrick is made of a uniform boom of length L and weight w, pivoted at its lower end, as shown in Fig. 2-15. It is supported at an angle with the vertical by a horizontal cable attached at a point a distance x from the pivot, and a weight W is slung from its upper end. Find the tension T in the horizontal cable.
Relevant Equations
##\tau = F_{\perp}r##
Work = Fd
I attempted to solve this problem by considering the torque caused by the perpendicular components of the tension and weight with respect to the derrick. $$ Tcos\theta x = Wsin\theta L$$ $$T = \frac L x Wtan\theta$$ Using the principle of virtual work I also arrived at the same answer by considering the derrick falling a distance y. $$Wsin\theta y = Tcos\theta \frac x L y $$The answer listed in the book is ##T = \frac L x (W + \frac W 2 )tan\theta ## and I can't figure out where the ##\frac W 2 ## term comes from. Thank you in advance for helping me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.45.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.45.41 AM.png
    22 KB · Views: 53
Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to the weight W of the block, the boom has weight w.

TSny said:
In addition to the weight W of the block, the boom has weight w.
Ok I see now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Likes berkeman and TSny

1. What is torque and how is it related to a derrick?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the context of a derrick, torque is the force that is applied to the drill bit to turn it and drill into the ground.

2. How is torque calculated in a derrick?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the drill bit by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm.

3. What is the significance of torque in a derrick?

Torque is crucial in a derrick as it determines the amount of force that can be applied to the drill bit, which ultimately affects the drilling speed and efficiency. It also helps to prevent the drill bit from getting stuck or breaking.

4. How does the angle of the derrick affect torque?

The angle of the derrick affects the torque by changing the distance between the center of rotation and the point where the force is applied. The larger the angle, the longer the lever arm and the greater the torque.

5. How can torque be controlled in a derrick?

Torque can be controlled in a derrick by adjusting the force applied to the drill bit and the angle of the derrick. Additionally, using a gearbox or adding weight to the drill string can also help to regulate torque.