Problem on momentum, finding mass, in order to find the velocity.

In summary, momentum is a physical quantity that measures an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. It is important because it can predict an object's behavior and is conserved in closed systems. To find the mass of an object using its momentum and velocity, the formula can be rearranged to m = p/v. Momentum can be negative when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its defined positive direction.
mutineer
In question 3 bi
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_w09_qp_21.pdf
I am having trouble finding the value of u in 4u,(the mass). Can someone tell me how to find the value of u? Do i have to form a simultaneous equation first?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's given to you on page 2.
It's the unified atomic mass unit.

Simon Bridge said:
It's given to you on page 2.
It's the unified atomic mass unit.

okay got it, didnt know that. Thanx a tonne!

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object. It is a product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

3. Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it describes an object's motion and can help predict how an object will behave in a given situation. It is also conserved, meaning that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after an interaction remains the same.

4. How can I find the mass of an object using its momentum and velocity?

To find the mass of an object, you can rearrange the momentum formula to solve for mass. The formula becomes m = p/v, where m represents mass, p represents momentum, and v represents velocity.

5. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its defined positive direction. Momentum is a vector quantity and can have both positive and negative values depending on the direction of an object's motion.