Problem using centripital accel.... Can you check my work?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student solving for the angular velocity in rpm of a rock being swung in a horizontal circle by a string. The solution involves finding the tension in the string, calculating linear velocity, and then solving for angular velocity using the equation v = r*w. An alternative method is also provided using the ratio of gravitational acceleration to centripetal acceleration. Both methods yield the same value for angular velocity.
sunnnystrong

Homework Statement

A student ties a 500 g rock to a 1.0-m-long string and swings it around her head in a horizontal circle.
At what angular velocity in rpm does the string tilt down at a 16 degree angle?

Homework Equations

F = (m*v^2)/r
v = r*w

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First I solved for the tension in the string...

∑Fy = 0

T*sin(16°) - mg = 0
T*sin(16°) = mg
T = 17.776 N

Next I solved for the linear velocity

ΣFx = m*a

Tx = 17.776cos(16°)
r = sin(74°)
17.776cos(16°) = ((.5kg)*v^2)/(sin(74°)
Solve for linear velocity --> 5.73 m/s

v = r*w
Solve for omega and I got 5.96 rad/s

Convert to rpm and I got 56.9 rpm.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same values.

Likes sunnnystrong
mfb said:
I get the same values.
Awesome, thank you!

You've found a valid solution, well done. Since you've arrived at the answer I'm free to show you an alternative method.

If you make a drawing of the scenario and consider the accelerations experienced by the rock you'll see that the ratio of the gravitational acceleration to the centripetal acceleration will be equal to the tan of the angle. In this diagram the negative of the centripetal acceleration (red vector) is shown for clarity:

upload_2017-3-18_20-7-25.png

So that ##tan(θ) = \frac{g}{ω^2 r}##, where: ##r = L cos(θ)##. With a bit of rearranging and simplifying this becomes:

##ω = \sqrt{\frac{g}{L sin(θ)}}##

which should yield the same value for ω that you found.

Likes sunnnystrong
gneill said:
You've found a valid solution, well done. Since you've arrived at the answer I'm free to show you an alternative method.

If you make a drawing of the scenario and consider the accelerations experienced by the rock you'll see that the ratio of the gravitational acceleration to the centripetal acceleration will be equal to the tan of the angle. In this diagram the negative of the centripetal acceleration (red vector) is shown for clarity:

View attachment 114717

So that ##tan(θ) = \frac{g}{ω^2 r}##, where: ##r = L cos(θ)##. With a bit of rearranging and simplifying this becomes:

##ω = \sqrt{\frac{g}{L sin(θ)}}##

which should yield the same value for ω that you found.

Thank you! I'll remember that :)

1. What is centripetal acceleration and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, which is necessary for an object to maintain a circular motion. It is caused by a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circle.

2. Can you explain the equation for centripetal acceleration?

The equation for centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This equation shows that the centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.

3. How do you calculate the direction of centripetal acceleration?

The direction of centripetal acceleration is always towards the center of the circle. This is because centripetal acceleration is caused by a centripetal force that is directed towards the center of the circle, as required for an object to maintain a circular motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include a car turning around a curve, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a spinning top. These objects experience a centripetal force that keeps them moving in a circular path.

5. Can you check my calculations for a problem involving centripetal acceleration?

As a language model AI, I am unable to check your calculations, but I can provide you with the correct formulas and equations to help you solve the problem. It is important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units for all variables.