Problem with checking solution by wolframalpha

• I
  • Thread starter polibuda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of checking the solution of a system of differential equations on a calculator. The person has solved the equations and received a result, but when checking it on Wolfram Alpha, there seems to be a discrepancy. One person suggests hand checking the result, while another points out a possible typo in the equation.
polibuda
TL;DR Summary
System of differential equations
My problem is that I can't check solution of task in any calculator (only in wolfram). I have the system of differential equations:
x'=3x-4y+1
y'=4x-7y+10t
I solved it and the result is:
1607966152282.png

1607966196707.png

but when I check result in wolfram I receive something like that:
1607966312855.png

What is the problem? Are any else another calculators to check solutions of system of differential equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you hand checked your result? ie compute x' and y' from your solution and plug back into the original to verify that they work?

I would not waste time unless you've got it to waste on why an online calculator seems to differ from your result.

That is good advice. Thank you for help.

Are you sure you typed it correctly into Wolfram Alpha? The solution you posted can't be right, because there is no way for it to give the 10t term on the RHS of the y' equation.

Likes Infrared
phyzguy said:
Are you sure you typed it correctly into Wolfram Alpha? The solution you posted can't be right, because there is no way for it to give the 10t term on the RHS of the y' equation.
In particular, it looks like the WA answer solves the system

$$x'=3x-4y+1$$ $$y'=4x-7y+10$$

(with a constant ##10## instead of ##10t##). I think this is the typo.

Likes phyzguy

1. What is WolframAlpha and how does it check solutions to problems?

WolframAlpha is a computational knowledge engine that uses a vast collection of algorithms and data to provide answers and solutions to a wide range of problems. It checks solutions by analyzing the input and applying mathematical and logical operations to determine the most accurate answer.

2. Can WolframAlpha be trusted to accurately check solutions to complex problems?

Yes, WolframAlpha is known for its high level of accuracy and reliability in providing solutions to various types of problems. It has been extensively tested and is used by professionals in fields such as mathematics, science, and engineering.

3. Are there any limitations to using WolframAlpha to check solutions?

While WolframAlpha is a powerful tool, it may not be able to provide solutions to every type of problem. It works best with well-defined and structured problems, and may struggle with more open-ended or ambiguous questions.

4. Is there a cost to using WolframAlpha to check solutions?

There is a free version of WolframAlpha available, but it has limited functionality and may not be suitable for more complex problems. A paid subscription is required for access to the full range of features and capabilities.

5. Can WolframAlpha explain how it arrived at a specific solution?

Yes, WolframAlpha provides step-by-step explanations for many types of problems, allowing users to understand the process and logic behind the solution. This can be helpful for learning and understanding complex concepts.