Problem with drawing velocity vectors

In summary, the conversation is about a problem statement involving graphing velocities to solve a question about a pitcher throwing a fastball and a batter hitting it for a home run. The person is seeking help as they do not know how to graph velocities and has never watched a baseball match. The conversation also mentions a needed formula and a diagram to help understand the problem. However, without seeing the question, it is unclear what the person is supposed to do.
physicos

Homework Statement

Hi all , I have a problem statement , I know how to solve it but I don't know how to graph velocities so I can use cartesian coordinate and thus have correct answers. Would you please help me ??

A pitcher throws a fastball, which crosses the plate with a speed of 95 mph and an angle of 5° relative to the horizontal. The batter hits it for a home run, launching it with 113 mph at an angle of 35° to the horizontal.

I have never watched a baseball match ! so can you help me ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
physicos said:

Homework Statement

Hi all , I have a problem statement , I know how to solve it but I don't know how to graph velocities so I can use cartesian coordinate and thus have correct answers. Would you please help me ??

A pitcher throws a fastball, which crosses the plate with a speed of 95 mph and an angle of 5° relative to the horizontal. The batter hits it for a home run, launching it with 113 mph at an angle of 35° to the horizontal.

I have never watched a baseball match ! so can you help me ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The home plate is the 'fourth base'

500px-Baseball_diamond.svg.png

You haven't actually posted what the question asks you to do.

The question is not a problem ,the sketching will permit me to get it ! I have the needed formula

physicos said:
The question is not a problem ,the sketching will permit me to get it ! I have the needed formula

Does the diagram clear things up for you?

drawing

I think of it this way :

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 411
physicos said:
I think of it this way :

Without seeing the question, there's no way of knowing what you're supposed to do. If you've solved it, great, if not and you still need assistance - detail the question.

1. What are velocity vectors?

Velocity vectors are mathematical representations of the speed and direction of an object's motion. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the movement of objects.

2. Why is there a problem with drawing velocity vectors?

Drawing velocity vectors can be challenging because they require precise measurements and accurate representations of both speed and direction. Additionally, the direction of a velocity vector may change over time, making it difficult to accurately depict on a static drawing.

3. How can I improve my ability to draw velocity vectors?

Practice and familiarity with vector notation and geometry can greatly improve your ability to draw velocity vectors. It may also be helpful to use a scale or grid to ensure accurate measurements and proportions.

4. What are some common errors when drawing velocity vectors?

Some common errors when drawing velocity vectors include incorrect measurements, incorrect direction, and incorrect scaling. It is important to carefully double-check all measurements and calculations before drawing the vector.

5. How are velocity vectors useful in scientific research?

Velocity vectors are essential in analyzing and predicting the movement of objects in scientific research. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology to understand the motion of objects and systems, and to make accurate predictions and calculations.