Problem with gears — One geared wheel spins up another

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears Wheel
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton's third law to calculate torque and work in a system with two gears, A and B. The conservation of mechanical energy is also mentioned, along with the use of gear A as a flywheel in industrial machines. The formula for kinetic energy of gear A is provided as a reference.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
I am trying to solve a problem by torques and conversation of energy, but the answers don't match.
Relevant Equations
t = rf
E = constant
1590165238935.png

By third Newton's law, i would imagine that fa = -fb, so
and assuming f to be the average value

torque in A
-ra*f*t = Waf - Wao
torque in b
rb*f*t = Wbf

and

Ia*wo² = Ib*wbf² + Ia*waf²

it Looks right to you? I really appreciate this method that i thought, but the answers don't match, and i don't know what is wrong.

THe justification to use the conservation of mechanic would be: The work done by one force will be equal to the work done by the reaction force, but opposite in signal, so it cancel.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could treat gear A as a flywheel.
There are many industrial presses and shear machines that use that principle for conforming and cutting metal.

Please, see:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/flywheel-energy-d_945.html

The kinetic energy of gear A (Joules) will have to keep moving both gears after contact is established.

##E_{kA}=(1/2)(I_A)(\omega_0)^2##

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi

1. How does one geared wheel spin up another?

One geared wheel can spin up another through a process called gear meshing. This occurs when the teeth of one gear interlock with the teeth of another gear, causing them to rotate together.

2. What causes problems with gears?

Problems with gears can be caused by various factors such as misalignment, wear and tear, inadequate lubrication, or improper installation. These issues can lead to gear slippage, excessive noise, or even gear failure.

3. Can gear problems be prevented?

Yes, gear problems can be prevented through regular maintenance and proper usage. This includes checking for misalignment, ensuring proper lubrication, and replacing worn gears before they cause further damage.

4. How can gear problems be diagnosed?

Gear problems can be diagnosed through visual inspection, measuring gear tooth wear, and conducting vibration analysis. These methods can help identify any issues with the gears and determine the best course of action for repair.

5. Is it possible to fix gear problems?

Yes, it is possible to fix gear problems through various methods such as realigning the gears, replacing worn gears, or improving lubrication. However, in some cases, if the damage is severe, the gears may need to be completely replaced.