Problem with ideal gas law and a spring Help please

In summary, according to the homework, when an ideal gas is in equilibrium with a spring, the amount of pressure exerted is equal to the amount of force exerted by the spring.
ml_lulu
Problem with ideal gas law and a spring! Help please!

Homework Statement

We have a box divided in two parts by a piston without friction, and in one part there are n moles of an ideal gas and a Spring orf constant K and natural longitude L which keeps the piston in equilibrium. According to this, and knowing that the temperature of the gas is T0, find the amount for K.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
F=-KX
E=(KX^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know its (nRTo)/6L^2 because the book has the answers, but I don't know where it came from! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you know besides eqn. How do we link the two systems?

The common part to both is the piston, so Pressure of the gas multiplied by its area exerts a force on it.

This force must be the same as that exerted by the spring in order for system to be in equilibrium, that is piston is not moving.

Does this help?

I forgot to tell that the longitude of the spring in equilibrium is 3L (which means that x=2L, I think?) So, what I did is:

P= F/A
F=-kX
PV=nRT

kX/A=nRT/V

And volume is one, because its an ideal gas, so

K=nRTA/X

K=nRTA/2L

And that's all I know

Forget it! I did it :smile: :rolleyes: :-p

F/A*V=nRT
F*L=nRT
kX*L=nRT
K=nRT/X.L
K=nRT/2L*3L
K=nRT/6L^2

Thanks anyways! :)

Thanks, I was wondering where the 6 came from :confused:

Thats getting real close,

the importat links are being made:

There is nothing that says ideal gas has volume of 1,
in fact it is 22.4 L for n=1.

what we can say P=nRT/(A*L) where L here is the Length at equilibrium under final condition.

we know that force is P*A=nRT/L

we also know that F=K*L where L is above.

then k=nRT/L^2 now relate the L I used vs that you were given at equilibrium as I had some trouble understanding problem description.

Related to Problem with ideal gas law and a spring Help please

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to a spring?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is often used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. The spring in this context typically represents a system with elastic potential energy, and the ideal gas law can be used to analyze the behavior of gases within this system.

2. What are the limitations of the ideal gas law and how does it affect a spring system?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. In reality, gas particles do have volume and can interact with each other, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. This can affect the behavior of the gas in a spring system and may lead to deviations from the ideal gas law.

3. Can the ideal gas law and a spring be used to model real-world systems?

While the ideal gas law is a useful tool for analyzing gas behavior in simple systems, it may not accurately model real-world systems that involve non-ideal gases. Additionally, the behavior of a spring in a real-world system may be affected by factors such as friction and external forces, which are not accounted for in the ideal gas law.

4. How can the problem with the ideal gas law and a spring be addressed or improved?

To improve the accuracy of the ideal gas law in a spring system, one could use a more complex equation, such as the Van der Waals equation, which takes into account the volume and interactions of gas particles. Additionally, considering external factors and making adjustments to the spring system could provide a more accurate representation of real-world behavior.

5. What other factors should be considered when using the ideal gas law and a spring to model a system?

When using the ideal gas law and a spring to model a system, it is important to consider the assumptions made in the ideal gas law, such as the absence of particle interactions and volume. Additionally, factors such as temperature, pressure, and the specific properties of the gas being used should also be taken into account to ensure the accuracy of the model.