Problem with simple inequality

• B
  • Thread starter dyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: I don't know if this is a language problem, butTaking the square root of both sides gives you$$x^2=9\quad \Longrightarrow \quad \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{9} \quad \Longrightarrow \quad |x|=3 \quad \Longrightarrow \quad x=\pm 3$$which I thought was what you were trying to say earlier.Taking the square root gives you$$9>x^2 \Longrightarrow \sqrt{9}> \sqrt{x^2} \Longrightarrow 3>|x|$$And 3>|x| means that x can be either a positive number or a negative number.For example, if x=-5, then 3 is
dyn
Hi
If i have the inequality , 9 > x2 then i know the answer is , -3 < x < +3 but my confusion lies in the following ; if i take the square root of both sides of the inequality i get , ± 3 > ±x
Is that correct ? If so , it leads to the following solutions
x < 3 , x > -3 , x < -3 , x >3 ; which i know is wrong but why ?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Hi
If i have the inequality , 9 > x2 then i know the answer is , -3 < x < +3 but my confusion lies in the following ; if i take the square root of both sides of the inequality i get , ± 3 > ±x
Is that correct ?
No, it isn't. You cannot write ##\pm a > \pm b.## That makes no sense.
dyn said:
If so , it leads to the following solutions
x < 3 , x > -3 , x < -3 , x >3 ; which i know is wrong but why ?
Thanks

Taking the square root gives you:
$$
9>x^2 \Longrightarrow \begin{cases}
x=\sqrt{x^2}<3=\sqrt{9} &\text{ if }x\geq 0\\ x=-\sqrt{x^2}> -3=-\sqrt{9} &\text{ if }x< 0
\end{cases}
$$

Thanks. So . for a first step if i take the square root of both sides of 9 > x2 what do i get ?

dyn said:
Thanks. So . for a first step if i take the square root of both sides of 9 > x2 what do i get ?
I would proceed very carefully. Let's see what we have.
\begin{align*}
9 > x^2 &\Longrightarrow 9-x^2 > 0\\
&\Longrightarrow (3-x)\cdot (3+x) > 0\\
&\Longrightarrow \left[3-x > 0 \;\;\;\text{ AND } \;\;\;3+x > 0 \right] \;\;\;\text{ OR } \;\;\;\left[3-x < 0 \;\;\;\text{ AND } \;\;\;3+x < 0 \right]\\
&\Longrightarrow \left[3>x>-3\right] \;\;\;\text{ OR } \;\;\;\left[3<x<-3\right]\\
&\Longrightarrow 3>x>-3 \;\;\;\text{ OR }\;\;\; x\in \emptyset\\
&\Longrightarrow 3>x>-3
\end{align*}
This is the procedure step by step.

Likes jim mcnamara and statdad
dyn said:
If you take the square root of both sides, you will preserve the inequality. This follows since the square root function is monotone increasing. [A monotone increasing function is one in which ##x > y \Rightarrow f(x) > f(y)##]

We must proceed with caution. It is not always the case that ##\sqrt{x^2} = x##. The square root function always returns a positive result. However, there are still two possibilities depending on the sign of x.

If ##x## is positive or zero, then ##\sqrt{x^2} = x## and our inequality becomes ##3 > x##.
If ##x## is negative, then ##\sqrt{x^2} = -x## and our inequality becomes ##3 > -x##.

The latter inequality is easily converted to ##-3 < x## because multiplication by negative one is a monotone decreasing function. It inverts the sense of the inequality when we apply the function to both sides.

The result is the case statement given by @fresh_42 in #2.

Likes dyn
dyn said:
Note that ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##. So, you get ##3 > |x|##.

• Informative
Likes hmmm27, statdad, pasmith and 2 others
Thanks everyone. If the inequality is turned into an equals sign and i have 9 = x2 and i take the square root of both sides do i have
±3 = ±x ?

dyn said:
Thanks everyone. If the inequality is turned into an equals sign and i have 9 = x2 and i take the square root of both sides do i have
±3 = ±x ?
The square root operation returns the principal square root only. ##\sqrt{9} = 3##. Not ##\pm 3##.
The square root operation returns the principal square root only. ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##. Not ##\pm x##.

dyn said:
±3 = ±x ?
No.

dyn said:
If the inequality is turned into an equals sign and i have 9 = x2 and i take the square root of both sides do i have
±3 = ±x ?
Your answer is "sort of" correct, but your explanation is not.
If ##x^2 = 9## then there are two solutions: x = 3 or x = -3. Your solution, ±3 = ±x, boils down to what I wrote.

Where your explanation is faulty is in thinking that ##\sqrt {x^2} = \pm x##. So taking square roots of the two sides results in ##|x| = 3## or ##x = \pm 3##.

dyn said:
±3 = ±x ?
No: if you have

## x^2 = 9##

and you solve it you get

## x = \pm 3 ##
If you were to, in isolation, compute $$\sqrt{9}$$ you would get $$3$$, not $$\pm 3$$. That is becuase

- when you solve the equation you are looking for all possible solutions
- the ``surd operator'' $$\sqrt{\hphantom{9}}$$ returns, by definition, only the positive square root

So if i have x2 = 9 and i take the square root of both sides i get x = 3 which is obviously not the full solution, so taking the square root of both sides does not give the full solution ?

dyn said:
So if i have x2 = 9 and i take the square root of both sides i get x = 3 which is obviously not the full solution, so taking the square root of both sides does not give the full solution ?
##x^2=9## becomes
$$
0=x^2-9=(x+3)\cdot (x-3) \quad \Longrightarrow \quad x=-3 \;\;\;\text{ OR } \;\;\;x=3
$$
Full solution. No need to bother the square root.

The square root is only a function for ##x\geq 0## and it is defined as ##\sqrt{.}\, : \,\mathbb{R}^+_0 \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^+_0.## There is another, related, however, different function ##-\sqrt{.}\, : \,\mathbb{R}^+_0 \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^-_0.## You can talk about either function, but not about them as it was only one function. It is not. ##(x,\pm\sqrt{x})=\{(x,\sqrt{x})\,|\,x\geq 0\}\cup \{(x,-\sqrt{x})\,|\,x\geq 0\}## is a relation, not a function.

Every function is a relation, but not every relation is a function. And since your notation ##\pm \sqrt{x^2}## refers to the relation with that ##\pm## you cannot pretend to apply a function on both sides of ##9=x^2.## What you can do is apply the function ##\sqrt{.}## and get ##\sqrt{9}=3=\sqrt{x^2}=x## like you would apply the function, e.g. times ##4## and get ##36=4x^2.## You can also apply the function ##-\sqrt{.}## on both sides and get ##-\sqrt{9}=-3=x.## But how do we know that we cannot find even more solutions if we only applied other functions, too? That's why ##0=9-x^2=(x-3)(x+3)## is the correct handling. This allows only the two solutions ##x=\pm 3.##

Last edited:
Likes dyn
dyn said:
No, that's why you often have ##\pm \sqrt{n}##. E.g. in the quadratic formula. In general:
$$x^2 = y^2 \ \Rightarrow \ x = \pm y$$

Likes dyn

What is a simple inequality?

A simple inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. The inequality symbol represents the relationship between the two quantities, with the larger quantity being placed on the left side of the symbol.

What is the difference between an equation and an inequality?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows that two quantities are equal. Inequalities, on the other hand, show a relationship between two quantities that are not necessarily equal. Inequalities can also have multiple solutions, while equations typically have only one solution.

How do you solve a simple inequality?

To solve a simple inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. You can do this by using inverse operations, just like when solving an equation. Remember to flip the inequality symbol if you multiply or divide by a negative number.

What is the difference between a strict inequality and a non-strict inequality?

A strict inequality uses the symbols < and >, which means the two quantities being compared are not equal. A non-strict inequality uses the symbols ≤ and ≥, which means the two quantities can be equal.

Why is it important to understand simple inequalities?

Simple inequalities are commonly used in everyday life, such as when comparing prices or determining a budget. They are also essential in more advanced mathematical concepts, such as calculus and optimization problems. Understanding simple inequalities allows us to make informed decisions and solve more complex problems.