Problem with vector field proof

In summary: And then you show that equals zero.In summary, using Green's theorem, it can be shown that the line integral of two vector fields, F and G, is equal for all piecewise smooth curves in the xy-plane, if F-G is equal to the gradient of a real-valued function μ(x,y).
Roidin
Suppose that F and G are vector fields and that F-G = ▽μ for some real-valued function μ(x,y). Prove that

∫ F.dx = ∫ G.dx for all piecewise smooth curves C in the xy-plane

I just need some help in getting started really. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Roidin said:
Suppose that F and G are vector fields and that F-G = ▽μ for some real-valued function μ(x,y). Prove that

∫ F.dx = ∫ G.dx for all piecewise smooth curves C in the xy-plane

I just need some help in getting started really. Thanks

If ##dx## is a scalar, what does ##\vec F \cdot dx## mean? Have you stated the problem correctly? Is C a closed curve?

Thanks LCKurtz,

F.dx is the line integral of the vector field and yes C is closed.

Roidin said:
Thanks LCKurtz,

F.dx is the line integral of the vector field and yes C is closed.

That's unusual notation. And since it matters that C is closed, don't you think it would have been good to mention that?

Let's call ##\vec H = \vec F -\vec G##. So say ##\vec H = \langle h_1,h_2\rangle## and you are talking about$$
\oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C h_1\, dx + h_2\, dy$$So now if you use ##\vec H(x,y) =\nabla \mu(x,y)## what happens?

Last edited:
Hi I am doing a similar problem so sooner than start a new thread...
[itex] \oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C \frac{dμ}{dx}\, dx + \frac{dμ}{dy}\, dy [/itex]?

gtfitzpatrick said:
[itex] \oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C \frac{dμ}{dx}\, dx + \frac{dμ}{dy}\, dy [/itex]?

Yes. Now do you see how to argue that it is zero?

No. in a word.
I thought i might be able to work something out using greens theorem(as the curve is closed) but its not working out...

gtfitzpatrick said:

LCKurtz said:
Yes. Now do you see how to argue that it is zero?

gtfitzpatrick said:
No. in a word.
I thought i might be able to work something out using greens theorem(as the curve is closed) but its not working out...

Green's theorem is what you want. What do you get and why don't you think it works?

[Edit]I have to go for a couple of hours. I'll check back and see if you have it by then.

Last edited:
[itex] \oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C \frac{dμ}{dx}\, dx + \frac{dμ}{dy}\, dy [/itex] = [itex]\int\int\frac{d^2μ}{dxdy}-\frac{d^2μ}{dxdy} dxdy = 0 [/itex] but this can only be true if [itex]\oint F.dr = \oint G.dr [/itex] qed?

gtfitzpatrick said:
[itex] \oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec r =\oint_C \frac{dμ}{dx}\, dx + \frac{dμ}{dy}\, dy [/itex] = [itex]\int\int\frac{d^2μ}{dxdy}-\frac{d^2μ}{dxdy} dxdy = 0 [/itex] but this can only be true if [itex]\oint F.dr = \oint G.dr [/itex] qed?

Yes. It would be more clear if the left side had started with$$
\oint_C \vec F\cdot d\vec R -\oint_C\vec G\cdot d\vec R =\oint_C (\vec F-\vec G)\cdot d\vec R=\oint_C\vec H\cdot d\vec R =\ ...$$

Related to Problem with vector field proof

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to represent a vector quantity that is associated with every point in a particular region of space. It can be visualized as arrows or lines that indicate the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point.

2. What is a proof in the context of vector fields?

A proof in the context of vector fields is a logical argument or demonstration that shows the validity of a statement or theorem related to vector fields. It involves using mathematical techniques and principles to support the claim being made.

3. What are some common problems encountered when proving statements about vector fields?

Some common problems encountered when proving statements about vector fields include dealing with complicated or abstract vector fields, ensuring the proof is rigorous and complete, and understanding the underlying mathematical concepts and principles involved.

4. How can one approach solving a problem with vector field proof?

One approach to solving a problem with vector field proof is by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve simplifying the vector field, using known theorems or techniques, and carefully considering each step of the proof.

5. What are some useful resources for learning about vector fields and their proofs?

Some useful resources for learning about vector fields and their proofs include textbooks on vector calculus or multivariable calculus, online tutorials and lectures, and practice problems with solutions. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or tutor who is knowledgeable in this subject area.