Problems about energy and dimension (checking my solutions)

In summary: So the ratio between the most expensive (corn oil) and the cheapest (coal) form is 80:1 or 80 times. In summary, the conversation discusses different forms of energy and their corresponding prices in relation to their energy content. The most efficient form is coal, which provides 8*10^8 Joules of energy for one dollar, while the most expensive form is corn oil, which only provides 1.008*10^7 Joules of energy for one dollar. The ratio between the most expensive and cheapest forms is 80:1 or 80 times.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Hence no one in the science section helped me I decided to come here. Anyways, the problems are just basic math.[/B]
1 )A gallon of gasoline carries with it about 1.3*10^8 J of energy. Given a price of $3 per gallon, how many Joules can you get for a dollar?

2)Electricity goes for about $0.05 per kilowatt hour. A kilowatt hour is just a weird way to write Joules because a watt is a joule per second, and a kilowatt hour is the number of Joules one would get from running 1000 W times one hour (3,600 seconds). In the form of electricity, how many Joules can you get for a dollar?

3)A standard cubic foot of natural gas carries with it about 1.1 x 106 J of energy. You can get about 5 x 105 British thermal units(BTUs) of gas for a dollar, and there are about 1,030 BTUs in a standard cubic foot. How many Joules of energy in the form of natural gas can you get for a dollar?

4)A ton of coal holds about 3.2 x1010 Joules of energy and costs about $40. How many Joules of energy in the form of coal can you get for a dollar?

5)Corn oil costs about $0.10 per fluid ounce wholesale. A fluid ounce carries about 240 dietary calories (which a scientist would call kilocalories). A calorie is about 4.2 Joules. How many Joules of energy in the form of corn oil can you get for a dollar?

6)Rank these as energy sources,cheap to expensive. What is the ratio in cost per Joule between the most expensive and the cheapest form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 1.3*(10^8)/3= 4.3*10^7
2)kw*h=1000w*3600s=1000J/s*3600s=3.6*10^6J
so electricity goes $0.05/3.6*10^6 J
for 1 dollar= 20*3.6*10^6 J=7.2*10^7 J
3)(5*10^5 BTUS/ 1030 BTUS)*(1.1*10^16)= 5.3*10^8 J
4)(3.2*10^10)/40 = 8*10^8
5) 240KC*1000C/1KC*4.2=1.008*10^7
6 Coal, natural gas, electricity,gasoline, corn oil
Based on the choices, Corn coil is about 10 times more expensive than coal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are correct but, for the last, you say that with coal you get 4.3x 10^7 Joules per dollar and with corn oil 1.008 x 10^7. That's a ratio 4.3/1.008. Corn oil appears to be about 4 times as expensive, not 10 times. How did you get 10 times?

Ignore this last statement. For some reason, I was thinking the first and last, most efficient and least, were being compared but now I see that coal was just before corn oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Those are correct but, for the last, you say that with coal you get 4.3x 10^7 Joules per dollar and with corn oil 1.008 x 10^7. That's a ratio 4.3/1.008. Corn oil appears to be about 4 times as expensive, not 10 times. How did you get 10 times?
For coal I get 8*10^8.

TheMathNoob said:
For coal I get 8*10^8.
Ok, but that still does not give 10 times.

haruspex said:
Ok, but that still does not give 10 times.
Yes, it's like 80 times

TheMathNoob said:
Yes, it's like 80 times
Agreed.

1. What is the concept of energy?

Energy is a quantitative property that is used to describe the ability of a physical system to do work or produce heat. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is measured in units of joules (J).

2. How does energy relate to dimensions?

Energy and dimensions are related in the sense that energy is a physical quantity that has specific units of measurement, which are often expressed in terms of dimensions such as length, mass, and time. For example, kinetic energy is measured in units of mass times length squared divided by time squared (M*L^2/T^2).

3. What are some common problems related to energy and dimensions?

Some common problems related to energy and dimensions include calculating the energy required to lift an object to a certain height, determining the dimensions of an object based on its potential energy, and solving for the velocity of an object based on its kinetic energy.

4. How do I check my solutions for energy and dimension problems?

The best way to check your solutions for energy and dimension problems is to make sure that the units of measurement for your answer are consistent with the given units in the problem. If the units do not match, then your solution is likely incorrect. You can also double-check your calculations to ensure that they are accurate.

5. What are some real-world applications of energy and dimension problems?

Energy and dimension problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of energy needed to power a light bulb, determining the dimensions of a building based on its potential energy, and finding the velocity of a moving car based on its kinetic energy. These types of problems are also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and environmental science.