Volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants?

In summary, the annual volume of cooling water required to cool the two thermal plants is 2.3*1017m3. The annual volume of cooling water required to cool the two nuclear plants is 9.6*1016 kg/1000.
kokodile

Homework Statement

In the year 2004 the USA produced 1787 TWh of electrical energy in conventional thermal plants and 476 TWh in nuclear plants. Assuming 30% efficiency for nuclear plants and 40% for conventional thermal plants, determine the (annual) volume of cooling water required to cool these plants in once-through cooling if the cooling water undergoes a temperature increase of 10°C. (Neglect the heat lost up the chimney in conventional plants, and assume two significant digits in given data.)
ηthermal=.4
Ethermal=1787 TWh
ηnuclear=.3
Enuclear=476 TWh

Homework Equations

[/B]
η=Useful (electrical) energy/total energy in
Q=mcΔT
Volume=mass/ρ
1 TWh=10^9 KWh
1 kWh = 3.6*10^6 J

The Attempt at a Solution

I did each plant one separately (of course) and converted the 1787 TWh of the thermal plant to Joules so that I could use it in the specific heat equation. When I converted it to Joules I got 9.5*10^24 Joules. I took that number and plugged it into my specific heat equation to get 2.3*10^20 kg. I plugged that mass into the Volume equation and got a volume of 2.3*10^17 m^3

I did the same steps for the nuclear plant and got 4*10^16 m^3.

Because the book only has one answer, I assumed they added the two up and got 2.7*10^17 m^3. The answer in the book is 2.7*10^11 m^3. So I'm close, but my exponent is off. I'm pretty sure I'm converting it correctly from TWh to Joules.

I also found that when I converted the TWh to MJ instead of Joules, I get the right answer, but I can't have it in MJ because the specific heat equation uses 4186 Jkg-1K-1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see more details of your calculation.

Chestermiller said:
Let's see more details of your calculation.
I think I also forgot to type out another step I took. Using the efficiency equation, I did 1787 TWh/.4 and got 4467.5 TWh.
I used 4467.5 TWh and 1787 TWh to find the waste heat energy. So I did 4467.5-1787 and got 2680.5 TWh. Because this is still in TWh, I converted it to Joules. (Should I convert it to Joules before I find the waste heat energy?)

Okay, here is my conversion from TWh to Joules.

2680.5 TWh x 1012W/1 TW x 1 J/s/1 W x 3600s/1 h = 9.65*1024 J (I originally wrote that I got 9.5*10^24 J, but it's actually 9.65*10^24. I still get the same answer though)

9.65*1024J/4186J*10K = 2.3*1020 kg

2.3*1020 kg/1000 = 2.3*1017m3

For the second plant, I took the exact same steps.

Using the efficiency equation, I did 476 TWh/.3 and got 1586.7 TWh.
I used 1586.7 TWh and 476 TWh to find the waste heat energy. So I did 1586.7-476 and got 1110.7 TWh. This is still in TWh, so I converted it to Joules.

1110.7 TWh x 1012W/1 TW x 1 J/s/1 W x 3600s/1 h = 4*1024 J

4*1024J/4186J*10K = 9.6*1019

9.6*1019 kg/1000 = 9.56*1016

If I add those two up, I get (2.3*1017) + (9.56*1016) = 3.25*1017m3

I did realize that I forgot to find the waste heat energy first the second time around, but even with finding the waste heat energy, I still get the wrong answer.

Check your multiplication.

1. How is the volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants calculated?

The volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants is calculated based on the amount of heat generated by the plant and the efficiency of the cooling system. Generally, a thermal/nuclear plant requires approximately 600 gallons of water per megawatt-hour of electricity produced.

2. What are the factors that affect the volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants?

The main factors that affect the volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants are the type and size of the plant, the type of cooling system used, and the temperature of the water source. A larger plant or a less efficient cooling system will require more water for cooling.

3. How does the location of a thermal/nuclear plant affect the volume of water required for cooling?

The location of a thermal/nuclear plant can greatly affect the volume of water required for cooling. Plants located near a large body of water, such as a river or lake, can use that water for cooling and thus require less volume. On the other hand, plants located in dry areas may need to rely on other sources of water, such as underground wells, which may require more volume.

4. Is the volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants sustainable?

The sustainability of the volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants depends on the location and efficiency of the plant. In areas with limited water resources, the volume required may not be sustainable in the long term. However, advancements in cooling technology, such as closed-loop cooling systems, can reduce the volume of water needed and make it more sustainable.

5. How does the volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants impact the environment?

The volume of water required to cool thermal/nuclear plants can have a significant impact on the environment. It can lead to depletion of local water sources, disruption of aquatic ecosystems, and increased water temperature. Additionally, the release of heated water back into the environment can affect the surrounding area's climate and weather patterns. Therefore, it is essential to carefully consider the environmental impacts when determining the volume of water required for cooling.