Problems involving Trigonometric Identities

In summary, the steps to solving these problems are: (1) determine if the lower left angle is a right angle, (2) solve for the two right triangles' exterior angles, and (3) solve for the red line's slope.
bearn
What are the step-by-step in solving these problems?
IMG_20220118_160045.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For (1) I assume the lower left angle is a right angle. Then we have two right triangles. For the smaller right triangle, $tan(\theta)= \frac{5}{x}$. For the larger, $tan(\theta+ \alpha)= tan(2\theta)= \frac{5+ 8}{x}= \frac{13}{x}$.

For $tan(2\theta)$ you can use the identity $tan(2\theta)= \frac{2 tan(\theta)}{1- tan^2(\theta)}$.

Since the first equation says that $tan(\theta)= \frac{5}{x}$, the second says $\frac{\frac{10}{x}}{1- \frac{25}{x^2}}= \frac{13}{x}$ that you can solve for x.

For (2) the blue line is given by 6x+ 7y= 60 or y= -(6/7)x+ 60/7. Its slope is -6/7 so the "exterior angle" of that triangle is arctan(-6/7)= 139.4 degrees. The interior angle is 180- 139.4= 40.6 degrees. Since $\theta= 60$ degrees the third angle, where the red line crosses the base is 180- 60- 40.6= 120- 40.6= 79.4 degrees. So the slope of the red line is tan(79.4)= 5.34.
y= 5.34(x- x_0)+ y_0 where (x_0, y_0) is any point on the line. We are told that (3, 6) is such a point.

Country Boy said:
For (1) I assume the lower left angle is a right angle.

If not, the problem becomes quite messy ... 3 unknown sides & one unknown angle. I was able to come up with four equations, but I'll be damned if I would make a "by hand" attempt at solving them for x, y, & z.

Country Boy said:
For (2) the blue line is given by 6x+ 7y= 60 or y= -(6/7)x+ 60/7. Its slope is -6/7 so the "exterior angle" of that triangle is arctan(-6/7)= 139.4 degrees. The interior angle is 180- 139.4= 40.6 degrees. Since $\theta= 60$ degrees the third angle, where the red line crosses the base is 180- 60- 40.6= 120- 40.6= 79.4 degrees. So the slope of the red line is tan(79.4)= 5.34.
y= 5.34(x- x_0)+ y_0 where (x_0, y_0) is any point on the line. We are told that (3, 6) is such a point.
Got it! Thank You so much!

What are Trigonometric Identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and are true for all values of the variables involved.

Why are Trigonometric Identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve problems involving angles and sides of triangles.

What are the most commonly used Trigonometric Identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

How do I prove Trigonometric Identities?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equivalent to the other side. This can involve using trigonometric identities, simplifying expressions, and substituting values for variables.

What are some real-world applications of Trigonometric Identities?

Trigonometric identities are used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, and navigation, to solve problems involving angles and distances. They are also used in music and art to create visually appealing designs and patterns.