Problems that could occur in estimating n from a Binomial distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of n and theta, as well as the potential problems that may arise. The issues mentioned include the possibility of non-integer values for n, as well as the consideration of binary results in the estimation process. The conversation also touches on the use of multiple samples in estimating the binomial distribution.
lintmintskint
Hi, I am doing the following question:

https://i.gyazo.com/f2e651334bcbd5f1dcb6d661e4160956.png

I have estimated both n and theta. But the part that is throwing me off is what problem could you encounter in estimating n here? My only idea is that it might be something to do with the sample size.

Any help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of how your estimate would look like for e.g. (5,7,6,5,4,6,7,6,10,7,7). Is that possible?

Another issue arises for small theta and large n.

mfb said:
Think of how your estimate would look like for e.g. (5,7,6,5,4,6,7,6,10,7,7). Is that possible?

Is the issue with the data set that you listed that n wouldn't be an integer? So we would have to round up or down to the nearest integer in some cases? Am I on the right track?

Well, it is an estimate, it doesn't have to be an integer. But that was not the problem I was thinking of.

I don't know if this is an obvious/dumb question, but, when we consider the sample mean ##\frac {1}{m}\Sigma_{i=1}^m x_i ## , do we consider ##x_i## as binary ( depending on the success criterion),
mfb said:

I don't understand, aren't the sample values given in binary, i.e., as success failures? Or do we have to consider different criteria for this?

If we would be given the binary results of n trials, there would be no need to estimate n, we could simply count. As far as I understood the question, we get multiple samples of the binomial distribution, i. e. each number in my post is the number of successful attempts (out of an unknown n) in a series of attempts.

Likes WWGD

Question 1: What is a Binomial distribution?

A Binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has the same probability of success.

Question 2: What is n in the context of a Binomial distribution?

In a Binomial distribution, n refers to the number of trials or observations.

Question 3: What are some common problems that could occur in estimating n from a Binomial distribution?

Some common problems that could occur in estimating n from a Binomial distribution include small sample size, biased sampling, and outliers.

Question 4: How can small sample size affect the estimation of n from a Binomial distribution?

Small sample size can lead to inaccurate estimations of n from a Binomial distribution because there may not be enough data to accurately represent the true distribution.

Question 5: What steps can be taken to minimize potential problems in estimating n from a Binomial distribution?

To minimize potential problems in estimating n from a Binomial distribution, it is important to have a large sample size, use random and unbiased sampling methods, and identify and remove any outliers that may skew the data.