Problems transferring grades between countries?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in grade systems between the UK and Australia and how this affects the individual's application for a PhD. The individual has an average mark of 78% in the UK and is told by the Australian university that they need an average of 80% to be considered. The individual is seeking advice on how to show the university that their marks are actually very good and not just average. The suggested solution is to email the university and explain why the individual believes their grade is sufficient.
streeters
Gah.

I study in the UK. We have a grade system here:

40% = pass
50% = 2:2
60% = 2:1
70% = 1st

I have average mark of 78% and am the top of my year by a few per cent.

I apply to Australian university for PhD, where their grade system is:

50% = pass
65% = credit
75% = dist.
85% = High distinction.

They tell me my marks aren't good enough and shouldn't apply unless I have an average of 80%.

How do I show them that my marks are very good, and not just ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think the 80% refer to the Australian system? You're probably not the first UK student to apply for a PhD at this university. Other than that: The obvious way seems to be writing a mail and explaining why you think your grade is sufficient.

Related to Problems transferring grades between countries?

1. How do I convert my grades from one country's grading system to another?

The process of converting grades from one country's grading system to another can vary depending on the specific systems involved. In general, you can use online conversion tools or consult with your school's academic advisor to determine the equivalent grade in the new system.

2. Are there any standardized methods for transferring grades between countries?

There are some standardized methods, such as the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) used in Europe, which allows for easy conversion of grades between participating countries. However, not all countries have standardized methods, so it's important to research and consult with your school to determine the best approach for your specific situation.

3. How do I know if my grades will be accepted by a university in a different country?

Each university or educational institution may have different requirements for accepting international grades. It's important to research and contact the admissions office of the university you are interested in to confirm their specific requirements and policies for accepting grades from other countries.

4. Can I transfer my grades if I have studied in multiple countries?

Yes, it is possible to transfer grades from multiple countries. However, the process may be more complex and may require additional research and documentation to ensure accurate conversion and acceptance by the receiving institution.

5. Do I need to provide translations of my grades if they are in a different language?

In most cases, yes. It is important to provide translations of your grades into the language of the receiving institution to ensure accurate understanding and evaluation. Some universities may have specific requirements for translations, so it's important to confirm with them beforehand.