Problems with Dimensional Analysis.

In summary, using dimensional analysis, we can determine the likely relationships between variables in physical equations. For the first problem, the relationship between wave velocity and other parameters can be expressed as v=k.F^x.l^y.m^z. For the second problem, the relationship between frictional force and other variables can be expressed as F=kanv. This method involves matching exponents of base units to find the correct relationship.
Col Kilgore

Homework Statement

1) A string is stretched between two walls. When its plucked, a transverse wave travels from one end to the other. The length of the string is l, the mass of the string is m. There is a tensional force of F Newtons present in the string. The velocity of the resultant wave is v m/s. It is reasonable to assume that there is some relationship between the wave velocity and the other parameters such as:
v=k.F^x.l^y.m^z (where k is some dimensionless constant)

Using dimensional analysis, determine the likely relationship.

2) A sphere of radius a is dropped into a viscous liquid with a coefficient of viscosity n and its velocity at an instant is v. The frictional force can be partly found by dimensional analysis.

F=k.a^x.n^y.v^z (where k is a dimensionless constant)

The dimensions of the variables are:
[F] = MLT^-2
[a] = Lk
[n] = ML^-1T^-1
[v] = LT^-1

Use dimensional analysis to find a likely relationship between the variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't coursework or homework, I have just been looking at past papers and a question similar to the ones I've posted always comes up. Most questions, I have some sort of an idea about, but dimensional analysis questions always stump me. Any help with methods on doing these types of questions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
At this point it's just algebra. For instance, in your second problem, you know that the left-hand side must have dimensions of force, and so you just tweak the right-hand side until it matches:

(I'm going to assume that [a] = L, since "Lk" doesn't make sense to me).

MLT-2 = kLx(ML-1T-1)y(LT-1)z

It helps if you first combine powers that have the same base:

MLT-2 = kLx-y+zMyT-y-z

Now you just have to match exponents up by inspection. In order for the right-hand side to have the same dimensions as the left, it must be true that:

x-y+z = 1

y = 1

-y-z = -2

substituting the second equation into the third, you get:

-1 - z = -2

z = 1

substituting this into the first equation, you get:

x - 1 +1 = 1

x = 1

Therefore, it seems that the answer is:

F = kanv

which might be plausible. I imagine that the solution method to most other problems of this type would be very similar.

1. What is dimensional analysis and why is it important in science?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze and solve problems involving physical quantities. It is important in science because it allows us to check the validity of equations, convert units, and identify relationships between different physical quantities.

2. What are some common errors or mistakes that can occur when using dimensional analysis?

Some common errors when using dimensional analysis include using incorrect units, not canceling out units correctly, and not paying attention to significant figures. It is also important to be aware of any conversion factors or constants that may need to be included in the calculations.

3. How do you know when to use dimensional analysis to solve a problem?

Dimensional analysis is typically used for problems involving physical quantities, such as distance, time, mass, and temperature. If a problem involves converting units, or if the given values have different units, then using dimensional analysis would be appropriate.

4. Can dimensional analysis be used for any type of physical quantity?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for any type of physical quantity as long as the given values have units that can be converted to the desired units of the final answer. However, it may not be the most efficient or accurate method for more complex problems involving multiple variables and equations.

5. Are there any limitations to dimensional analysis?

While dimensional analysis can be a useful tool in solving problems, it does have its limitations. It is important to remember that it only deals with physical quantities and cannot account for other factors that may affect the problem. Additionally, it may not be suitable for more complex problems with multiple variables and equations.