Process capability and control charts

In summary: I am not sure. process cability number, and control charts from them it says the the process is incontrol and capabilile. but after 30 hours process will start producing products out side the LCLa machine its made on. all i got on it is that the process is centered and capable but after 30 hours process will start producing products out side the LCLAnd why would parts that are coming out of a die have that characteristic? Have you ever used a saw blade a lot until it got worn down and too dull to keep using?but after 30 hours process will start producing products out side the LCL
lee123456789
<< Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown >>

I was looking into process control and capability of general manufacturing company.
e.g one that constructs bolts

There process was was within tolerance and in control producing screws within tolerance, but will go out of control later on.
There process capability (Cp) = 1.013 was just about ok.

Im slightly confused on the skew of the data
If the process in control and just about capable can you assume the process is centred, not skewed

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on this, but if they are making screws, how to they make them? Do they cast them (how coarse are they?), or more likely they cut the threads with a die, right? How does a die work? What determines the tolerance of the diameter(s) of the screw cut by the die?

And after answering those questions, can you say a bit about what will be skewed, and how it will vary over the lifetime of the die?

Also, this sounds like a schoolwork question. Should I move the thread to the Homework Help forums for you?

berkeman said:
Also, this sounds like a schoolwork question. Should I move the thread to the Homework Help forums for you?
ok thank you

Thanks. Thread moved to the schoolwork forums...
berkeman said:
And after answering those questions, can you say a bit about what will be skewed, and how it will vary over the lifetime of the die?
So can you comment on my questions? :smile:

berkeman said:
Thanks. Thread moved to the schoolwork forums...

So can you comment on my questions? :smile:
sorry I am not sure.
all i got is process cability number, and control charts from them it says the the process is incontrol and capabilile. but after 30 hours process will start producing products out side the LCL
a machine its made on. all i got on it

lee123456789 said:
but after 30 hours process will start producing products out side the LCL
And why would parts that are coming out of a die have that characteristic? Have you ever used a saw blade a lot until it got worn down and too dull to keep using?

lee123456789 said:
but after 30 hours process will start producing products out side the LCL
And once you figure out why this happens, what can you say about what you should do with the initial dimensions of the die to maximize its lifetime? :smile:

What is process capability?

Process capability is a measure of how well a process is able to consistently produce products or services that meet a set of specifications or requirements.

What is the purpose of control charts?

The purpose of control charts is to monitor and track the performance of a process over time, and to identify any significant variations or trends that may indicate a need for process improvement.

What are the key components of a control chart?

The key components of a control chart include a center line, upper and lower control limits, and data points representing the process performance over time.

How are control limits determined?

Control limits are typically determined based on statistical calculations using historical data from the process. The upper and lower control limits are usually set at three standard deviations from the process mean.

What is the difference between process capability and process control?

Process capability focuses on the ability of a process to meet specifications, while process control focuses on the ability to maintain consistent performance over time. Control charts are used to monitor both process capability and control.